1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here we go again

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alfon, Mar 1, 2011.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone noticed the price of gas has
    been rising?

I seem to remember about three years
    ago we had a similar increase in fuel prices.

Chevy gave us the VOLT, isn't that nice,

The average working person can not afford
    a $44,000 vehicle.

It looks like the best buy for the money with
    gas looking to hit $5-6 / gallon is the Prius.

I am sure glad we got our Prius when we did. A few
    more weeks from now you will have a better
    chance of finding a dinosaur on a Toyota lot
    than a Prius.

alfon

2. Dweezil

Dweezil Cat Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is one of the big reasons I bought mine in January...I was anticipating the fuel prices going up this year. I'm glad I got my car when I did.

3. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If Saudia Arabia goes the
    way of some of the other middle
    east countries, our USA as
    we know is over.

Green Energy is a nice pretty word.

When I fill up the Prius it is not green
    energy, it is Petroleum.

As a world leader we look pretty pathetic
    as a super power with no energy policy.

I know many people are against us drilling for
    our own oil, but we have no choice. Tell me how much
    you want to save the fish and whales when
    your family is freezing and starving.

Like you, I also knew that the price of gas would
    not be $2.00 / gallon for long, that is why we
    took the plunge and purchased our Prius in
    May 17, 2009.

alfon

4. PSD Prius

PSD Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same here, from reading the current world events, we traded in our 08 Sequoia for a 11 Prius. Saving money every day...less monthly payment, car insurance about the same, and gas...well I dont have to say anything about that. :)

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius family expansion couldn't come at a better time. That will save more gas than any of the lithium plugins can.

6. tinaprius

tinaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We traded our Dodge RAM for the Prius in Dec of last year. I knew gas would go back up. We are very happy with our decision.

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sold my beloved G-wagen and got me a Prius in 4/10...never look back since! :) The G-wagen was the most expendable member of my garage...and my job requirement changed resulting in more commuter miles...so, it was a no-brainer!

8. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A year and a half ago many friends couldn't understand why I bought a PRIUS when gas was really not that expensive. I think gas had fallen to around $2.25-$2.50 a gallon. I basically told them after the "08" experience I didn't want to wait for a big oil disaster or shortage to happen again and then try to buy one. I'm feeling great about the car and the fact that with higher gas prices my little car refuses to depreciate. ;) If a disaster does befall us (God forbid) this car could be very hard to find for sale or not even be affordable.

9. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yes and no. I "see" the numbers rising but it's hard to "feel" any sort of sticker shock in a 500+ MPT vehicle. :p Oh Oh Oh OHHH what a feeling!

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This^^^

14 months ago at the NAIAS in Detroit Toyota made its presentation to the industry and to the public with the hypothetical question...

'What would you do if you couldn't get fuel for your vehicle?'

( Meaning how would Toyota survive if customers around the world couldn't buy fuel for new vehicles due to a) price or b) lack of supply? )

14 months ago Toyota was the first worldwide organization* that I know of that had begun to plan on skyrocketing petro-fuel prices and potential shortfalls in the supply of petro-fuels during this present decade. Precient planning I'd say in view of this year's events.

*Since that presentation by Toyota I've seen two other huge organizations state the same problem and issue...
    1. Virgin Airlines
    2. The Pentagon, which is in charge of the largest single user of fuel in the world, the US Army.

1 person likes this.
  11. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We just picked up our second 2010 Prius last week replacing a 2006 Sienna XLE. The last number on the average MPG indicator was 17.8. We loved the vehicle but under the present (and future) circumstances it had to go. We feel very gas price immune for the near and distant future.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't spend too much time wondering about things. You can read about what is going on in the energy/oil industries - consider the sources -

Energy Production And Consumption

http://www.eia.doe.gov/ (outlooks on right hand side)

info on oil and energy production << google it

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The US has no energy policy. This country is being run by the yes-man mentality with lobbying and special interests pulling from all sides.
    Perhaps or perhaps not but it didn't have to be like this. The US has squandered wealth on cars and houses and food and crap for decades and now its economy is substantially at the whim of commodities speculation and more than anything addicted to a level of debt spending that is unsustainable.
    You are. However, the economy has built itself upon cheap oil. In a world in which a 50 mpg car can be had for 23k, in which a multitude of cars exist for under $15k and still get good mileage most people are driving around huge things because they've been able to and because the good times never seemed like they'd come to an end. Will they now? Who knows. Nobody knows where oil is going. It could drop down a bit and hold for years, but its chances of going up are high, too, and the US has never been proactive about this, not to a meaningful degree. Too little, too late with CAFE standards.

We'll live and make it. The US makes oil as do friendly nations, even if everything else goes to pot it won't be Mad Max, but it could be so much harder than it had to be if we end up being forced to transition quickly. Could drag on the global economy for years. Or not. Again, so many experts contradict each other :)

14. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i would have to say that our current energy policy is no. We've said no to about everything. no drilling, no coal, no nuclear. wind farms are going up, but that's about it.

the rest of our energy policy is "go green." so we are saddled with curly bulbs, low flush toilets, and a barrage of guilt for throwing a pop can in the trash. all of these things are reactive, not pro-active.

the volt is overpriced right now for most, but it's on the right track. less and less fuel without the insecurity of getting stranded with no place to plug in. but the short-sightedness of this is that we're going to wreak havoc on the electricity grid if plug-ins really take hold. so again i say, it's all reactionary. you have to build a system, not just a car.

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haha, exactly. Low flush toilet and recycling bottles is really such a tiny part of our profligate waste.

16. lovingUcbog

lovingUcbog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Proud owner of the Prius 2010 V Used Car due to the following reason:
    1. Higher Gas price from day to day ($1.20 per litre in Cambodia)
    2. All advance and fancy technology, and the first Toyota to be made with those equipped.
    3. The first 2010 Prius to be driven in Cambodia (very first owner of the 2010 model, so many others prius 2004-2009 in Cambodia nowaday) due to the import tax here is 120% of the purchase price........Paid $35000 USD for read bumper salvage Prius 2010 V + Nav Package (after repairs + import tax + transportation).

17. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What are the chances you can leave Cambodia? 120% tax is just a violation of humanity.

I'm glad you were able to get one though. Welcome to Priuschat.

18. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm with you on the low flush toilets. When it comes to removing waste, I want toilets capable of swallowing a whole ham.

Recycling, though, is an easy part to do. I did not give it much thought until my solid waste pickup service switched to single stream recycling (paper/plastic/glass/aluminum) in a full size bin. With almost no effort (no sorting), two thirds of what was going into the landfill is now recycled.

If you want to grab people's attention on fuel efficiency, I remember $10 US limit per fill up and long gas lines during the 70s oil crisis. Something similar would really boost a Prius' value as then it is not just a matter of money, it is a matter of time (in line) and capability (how far you get on $10 of gas).

19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Believe it or not despite paying among the highest prop taxes in the nation they cut curbside recycling here recently so all my bottles go now into the trash and subsequently the landfill.

20. CheeseheadPrius

CheeseheadPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Remember that commercial with the hot chic plumber and the guy trying to plug his toilet up? Not something I think about much but low flush toilets have come a long way it seems. We may very well be fighting our next war over drinking water rather than oil.