1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hey everybody, possible future Prius owner here.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MittensTDI, Aug 1, 2014.

1. MittensTDI

MittensTDI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey there, and thank you for allowing me to be apart of this. let me introduce myself. my name is Jules, I'm a freelance computer tech, who loves cars, computers, amateure DJing but above all, my kids.

anyways, I was hoping that many of you could help me with getting some info on a Gen II to early Gen III Prius. but I do a few questions about this interesting little car. however before anyone asks, I have driven for two weeks while a buddy was on vacation, it was a 08 and enjoyed it.. it nearly got as much range as my Golf TDI

1: I was wondering if the Plug-In Supply plugin conversion would extend the range of EV mode (no use of ICE) in both cars if possible. I realise the Gen II doesn't have a EV Button from Toyota unless added and wired later. they sell various ranges to assist the car from 10 miles to 75 miles. I ask because I drive in the city and speed limit averages 35 mph maybe 40.

2: is there anyway to convert this little car to run on ethanol? I ask again because some places I drive to have E85 for cheap (two places here in Michigan have it for nearly 50 -75 cents cheaper). I usually run, in the one car that is flex fuel, premium and E85 or a mix of both with pretty good MPGs and that's top of my OCD about driving conservatively. (I've been know to get mid 20s in the city with my mom and dad's non flex fuel Jeep when I drive it)

anyways...

3: being the fact that this car is a hybrid, will I benefit more using synthetic oils (specifically 0 weight) or is there no real change other then extended drain intervals. I know using synthetics in non hybrids and diesels works nicely and lasts longer. but in all of my cars that I do the oil changes and general maintenance, I use Amsoil and unlikely to use anything else. also.. is the CVT serviceable by me or am I forced to go to a dealer(what I means is: fluid check, fluid replacement)?

4: in the Gen II.. what's the difference between the base and touring models? I can't seem to figure it out other than a few things like a sway bar, upgraded suspension, possibly the audio system (which to me is pointless should I get one, Ill be replacing the speakers regardless since I found the ones in my buddy's lacking and lifeless)

5: based on all you who has this neat little car, I would like general opinions on what tire is best for all season use that is also economical and cost efficient. I prefer run flats if that helps anyone. also added to this, has anyone put on bigger wheels whether steel or alloy because 15 in wheels might give me a hell of a time finding those anyway. don't misunderstand, I wouldn't get stupid about it. lol

thats all I have for now, but I want to thank EVERYONE who takes time to help me. I am considering about getting one these cars for obviously reasons. all of these questions are so I can buy one, and enjoy the hell out of it. ^>^

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you stumped me.(n) all the best in your pursuit!(y)

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Bob Wilson has done extensive testing with ethanol in an unmodified Prius:
    E85 (3 gal) + E10 (7 gal) | PriusChat

MittensTDI likes this.
  4. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PRIUSchat!!(y)
    I agree with the above post!!
    Try googling it; it might bring you back to a thread in PRIUSchat.:)

MittensTDI likes this.