1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi! I'm new and my HEADLIGHT is out on my 2009 Prius!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by nounettebug, Dec 6, 2012.

1. nounettebug

nounettebug New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand there is some kind of class action suit going on? I have to drive out of town soon (at night) so I need to take care of this ASAP! I bought her used... Any help???

Thanks!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. nounettebug

nounettebug New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A coworker just told me the light was out. I looked it up online and was shocked at how expensive it is! I'm not sure if its intermittent or not yet.

I should go to the dealership you think? Then try to get reimbursed?

Thank you for your reply :)

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Again, if you have HIDs, see the above URL above the warranty extension. If you're under it, they'll do it w/no cost to you. Outside of it? They won't. I don't know OTOH if they'll accept any claims outside the 5 year/50K miles anymore.

Amazon.com: Philips D4R Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1: Automotive (sold directly from Amazon, not a 3rd party) should be legitimate (I can't make any guarantees though) and not counterfeit. I bought two directly from them when they were ~$55. From Philips Car lights, Lighting, the Where to Buy link leads to Philips Zip Code Locator and does list Amazon.

Some people are able to easily and quickly change them. Not me. :( My attempt turned into a multi-hour effort w/a lot of swearing and ended up having to remove the front bumper cover because the clip came off. :( (can't remove washer fluid tank, trying to replace passenger side HID | PriusChat)

5. nounettebug

nounettebug New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for your reply. I'm over 50,000 by far but its a 2009... I guess I could call the dealership I bought it from (actually a Honda dealership but partnered with a Toyota dealership) and ask them what they think. If its too much and it won't be covered I could buy the bulbs and have a local mechanic install them... better do it quick, though- I work nights so I'm driving home late :eek:

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    They may not cover it. I was a few months past and only a few thousand miles past the extension before I noticed one of mine flickering. The dealer local to me didn't even attempt to take it up with Toyota.

At the time, I had the class action suit forms and there was a place where you could plead your case, explain your circumstances, etc. I did (and IIRC, included a receipt) and get a check cut to me for the exact amount of 2 Philips D4R bulbs I bought from Amazon. To date, that was the 2nd best class action settlement I've ever gotten.

Make sure you have HIDs. If you can't tell them from halogens, see 2G Prius (2004-2009) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat. I believe if you have fog lights, you also have HIDs.

Halogens are MUCH cheaper and not covered by this extension. I believe they're also easier to replace.

7. nounettebug

nounettebug New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That stinks :(

8. nounettebug

nounettebug New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more question... how do I know if I have HIDs?

Oops... just saw your edit to your post :)

9. nounettebug

nounettebug New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still not sure if I have even fog lamps... is there a place you can plug in your VIN# and see? (I know I'm full of questions!)

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. I don't think so. Just check the options you have vs. 09 in the URL I gave. You can also look at the 09 brochure at 2G Prius (2004-2009) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat.

The fog lights (from memory) should be a second set of lights on the lower part of the front bumper (black area). There is a second ring you can turn on the left stalk to turn those on/off when the headlights are on.

11. nounettebug

nounettebug New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll check it when I leave work... I think I might NOT have it. I'm hoping not!

Thanks for being so nice and helpful :)