1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Headlight Leveler Self repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Sep 1, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere, a long time ago, someone fixed their own HID headlight leveler and made a thread complete with instructions and photos. I can't find it and know someone who might be interested in it. YES I tried the search, but came up mostly empty except for a thread where KTPhil posted some photos of where the accuator is...photos that are now lost.

If anyone remembers this, or if it was you who did the write up please link it in this thread.

C Wagner likes this.
  2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Evan I remember that post but it was before the "crash" and I've never seen any re-post. Also don't remember the poster.

C Wagner likes this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

C Wagner likes this.
  5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry. I think I linked to the correct one, but the name of the thread is the same. That happened once before on a different thread.

C Wagner likes this.
  6. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I recently took my sensor apart and repaired the corroded contacts with a rear window defogger repair kit. So far it seems to be working.

There was an earlier posted entitled Headlight level sensor corroded? which covered this topic. Within the posting is a response by Bill Merchant which included a link to a PDF file with instructions.

C Wagner likes this.
  7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  8. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to fix this by adding an additional sensor - disconnecting the installed assembly, which had a dead sensor, in my car's case. You could also do this if you find the dogbone part is broken.

Automatic headlight leveler Warning | PriusChat

The correct sensor is a common part for toyota/lexus vehicles and sells for $20. I added a wingnut to the new sensor so I could adjust it, if necessary. So you don't have to fix this if your car isn't going to be driven with the back sagging to the ground, you can just connect a working new sensor set in the middle of the potentiometer range and forget it.