Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

HID Headlights go on and off

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Main Forum' started by Eddie888, Oct 3, 2012.

Social Buttons

1. Eddie888

Eddie888 New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the headlights will go out, then when turning the switch off then on, they will come back on for a about a minute, then go out again. At first it started with just the drivers side going out, now it's both sides. Does anyone know what the problem is & how much it costs to fix.
  2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Its time for new bulbs!! This is the first sign they are near the end of their life.

Its recommended you change them both at the same time. They are over $200 at the dealership but get this - for a limited time - to the first 100 callers - You can get them for ~$50 on amazon.com!

hehe.

Just go to amazon.com and search "d4r bulb". Phillips (the same exact one Toyota uses) is around $50. ALOT CHEAPER than the dealership.

Go to youtube now and search "Prius head light replacement" and theres several great how-to's.

You can continue to do the "on-off" dance but its not good for the ballasts from what Ive read. It will reset them and turn them back on but you will eventually stop working all together when the bulb finally gives up the ghost.
    xpcman likes this.
  3. JohnnyPrius

JohnnyPrius Junior Member

We have a 2007 base Prius. I have replaced the HID lamps 3 times and the right lamp has started dropping out while driving again. Our small town cop loves pulling people over for the slightest of infractions, like turning a corner without using your signal, so a dark headlight at night is utter joy for him. I have been getting new HIDs for around $50 / pair on Amazon. I am considering replacing the entire headlamp assemblies with ones that take halogen and possibly integrated LEDs just because I am getting tired of spending so much on those HID bulbs and have them last only a couple of years (or less). The STUPID part is the way Toyota designed the light controls, you can't just use the fog lights for daytime running lights (DRLs)without the HIDs. If the fogs are on, the HIDs are on too. I am also considering a pair of bright LED lights to serve as DRLs. Anyone with a better suggestion?
  4. PriusGuy32

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five

This is relevant to my interest :D

Is such a thing available?? I'd go for that in a heartbeat over the HID's personally. Replacing a 9006 bulb ($8) vs replacing an HID pair ($100) seems like a definite more intelligent decision.
  5. JohnnyPrius

JohnnyPrius Junior Member

I don't know anything about these, but here is an example of a replacement housing that is not HID:
    http://www.carid.com/2007-toyota-prius-headlights/replace-euro-headlights-1440291.html
    Description:
    Toyota Prius 2007-2009, Headlight Lens and Housings, Non-HID Type by ReplaceĀ®. You need all your lights to be functional for safe driving, to see the road and be seen by other drivers. Don't drive with broken or missing lights and endanger yourself and your passengers because of the high cost of a replacement. A Replace Exterior Light Assembly is a direct replacement for the original equipment (OE) part but costs much less. You get OE quality without the OE price.

$87.38 - $95.05
    List: $109.22 - $118.82
    Save: $21.84 - $23.77 (20%)
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
  7. PriusDIY

PriusDIY Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have well functioning D4R bulbs at present but know that they will eventually fail. I have an "almost new" set of D4S bulbs, ones without the blacked-out portions of glass, said to be electrically identical. What would be the ramifications of using them in place of the correct D4R's? Blinding oncoming motorists? Damage to the reflector assembly? I assume that the difference is going to be in the light pattern on the road and am just wondering if anyone can predict what I'll see, when or if I install them. Thanks.

I fully intend to modify my fog lights so that they can be switched on or off when the parking/tail lights are on, instead of when the main low beams are on. Then they can be used for daytime situations, such as rain, saving the HID's.
    PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. PriusGuy32

Your Vehicle Year:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I would like to do this mod too. Post how its done when you get a chance.