1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID vs. LED headlight kits

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Cecil Horton, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Cecil Horton

Cecil Horton New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey everyone I was wondering whether I should replace my factory-issued halogen headlights for either HID's or LED's. What even is the actual difference between the two? Are there any solid packages or kits on the market?

Thanks,

Cecil

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Better lighting is always best, but depends on what you want and at what cost. Most can easily live with the halogen lighting that came from the factory. I prefer either a factory LED or HID system than a retrofit. I have the factory LEDs on my Prius Plug In Advance. They're the latest in lighting technology. I love the look and the bright, white light they provide. A retrofit, especially for HIDs are common place and it's a inexpensive mod. Not sure what available if you want to go LED aftermarket. You could simply upgrade your factory halogen bulbs with something better like the Sylvania Ultras that sell for under $50 per pair. Others will offer opinions.

Cecil Horton likes this.
  3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lots of people (here and any other car forum), will refer you to The Retrofit Source for the Morimoto 35W HID kits. They're about $150, I think?

I went a slightly cheaper route using a DDM 35W HID kit, but with Morimoto bulbs (about $80 altogether). However, DDM's quality is usually a hotly debated topic, even though they have a lifetime warranty. I will say I've been using my DDM (ballasts only) for 2 years without any issue (and whole kit in another car for 3 years).

I dont think you can find an aftermarket LED headlight kit that is priced anywhere near a decent HID kit, but I could be wrong since I havent looked in a while.

Installing an HID kit is just plug-and-play. Most of your "install time" will be spent trying to hide/tuck wiring and mounting the ballast somewhere.

Cecil Horton likes this.
  4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing your halogen headlights with LED headlights on the Prius will run you between $1200-$2000, and it's not a simple plug-N-play upgrade.

Replacing your halogen headlights with HID headlights on the Prius will run you between $60-$200, and it's a pretty simple plug-N-play upgrade.

5. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I replaced my stock halogens with slyvania ultras about 42 dollars and 5 mins a lite. Better than stock, but not as good as Led which cost at lest 200 dollars and you must add extra wiring and a transform box.

6. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Are the ultras much brighter than stock?

7. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    potorap : they are brighter and wider beam, how much I'm finding it hard to tell!

8. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Lou,

Thanks, I drive home at night with deer and burros on my route, couldn't hurt having more light.

JamesBurke likes this.
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had Sylvania Silverstar zXe bulbs in both our cars. Have since installed modified 65w H9 halogen bulbs in both cars. The H9 are definitely an upgrade worth considering.

Good quality German made H9 like Osram and Philips are less than $10 per bulb and outperform the "premium" H11 bulbs which cost much more for less light.

SCH-I535

Cecil Horton likes this.
  10. Cecil Horton

Cecil Horton New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What's the notable difference between use of LED's & Halogens—and also on Retrofit what does the bulb wattage actually mean?

iPad ?

11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LED's are much brighter and slightly whiter than the stock halogens in the Prius.

HID bulb wattage denotes how much current the bulb will nominally draw. Typically- the higher the wattage the brighter the HID bulb. Of course if you purchase 50 watt HID bulbs- you need to get 50 watt HID ballasts too.

Cecil Horton likes this.
  12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think, generally speaking, LEDs should consume less power for the same amount of light as HIDs. And HIDs consume less power for the same amount of light as halogens.

Your stock halogen bulbs are 55W. The "standard" HID kit is 35W and will be produce more light than your stock bulbs. The bulb wattage is just how much electricity the bulbs consume (or operate at). So switching from 2x55W halogen bulbs to 2x35W HID bulbs, should save some energy, although you're not talking a whole lot.

However, since halogen < HID < LED, comparing wattages between the different technologies isnt really helpful in determining true light output

I kind of recall someone here posting that the stock Advanced LED headlights are 20W a side, but I cant seem to find that now.

I just googled for Prius LED headlights and I found this link. I dont know of anyone who's ever used a kit like this nor have I read any reviews, I'm just posting it here so you can see such a kit exists:

Rakuten: Toyota Prius ★ H21.5 ~ H23.11 ZVW30 ★ ヘッドライトフォグ lamps ★ H11 ★ launches new 23 wLED 6000 k (white) SAMSUNG &amp;CREE, headlights &amp;amp; fog lights ◆ ◆ ◆- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

But that appears to be a plug-and-play kit that uses 23W LED bulbs. I cant read Japanese though.

If you're looking for more light, xliderider's suggestion sounds like an easy and cheap upgrade (although, I believe you need to modify the base of the H9 bulb a tiny bit to fit an H11 opening?). If you're a bit more "adventurous", then I'd just go with an HID kit.

If you pop into the Gen3 Mods & Accessories forum, you'll see this topic comes up a lot and there are many, many Prius owners who are using HID kits.

13. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    iplug likes this.
  14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The biggest problem with LEDs like this is that the light source isn't a point source, which the halogen projector is designed for (single filament glowing white hot). The HIDs come close with an intense arc of plasma/electricity, but even then, the arc may not be located in the proper location as the oem incandescent bulb's filament. In these retrofit LED bulbs, the light is coming out the front, the sides, etc. and the circuit boards themselves get in the way of the reflected light paths. The reflector bowl and lens isn't designed for this. The beams will be poorly focused, and will have a cr@ppy pattern.

15. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At the rate LED technology is evolving, I'm going to wait until it stabilizes. I just bought a 6000 lumen pocket-sized flashlight.

Holy Cow.

Cecil Horton likes this.
  17. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I agree. I bet in a couple of years there will be LED swap in bulbs that will totally beat HIDs, run cooler and take even less power.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I disagree. There will still be the focusing problem, unless the whole light assembly is designed around the LED light source, like the OEM LED systems. The drop-ins will not be acceptable in projectors and reflectors designed for bulbs with a point source filament or discharge arc.

19. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

This will depend on what your level of acceptability is. I know you don't accept drop-in HIDs in the Prius either, many do though, and believe the light output with those to be just fine. The same will go for a drop in LED bulb.

20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    An LED emitter is a flat surface. An HID is a tube of gas. A halogen is a piece of wire. Each has different optical qualities, therefore the lens and reflector are important. I think the LED holds the most promise, as it has a very long service life, very efficient, isn't affected much by ambient temperature, and the costs are plummeting.

P.S. an acetylene lamp is an open flame, but we don't use those much for headlights anymore.

Lee hilson and Cecil Horton like this.