1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

high mileage Prius maintanance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MonainCHI, Jul 8, 2014.

1. MonainCHI

MonainCHI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,
    We are the original owners of a 2004 Prius with now 187,000+ miles on it. It has been routinely maintained with oil changes, cabin and air filter, brakes, tires, water pump and two headlight replacements.

We have had no trouble at all with this car. As it is our only car, it cannot be in the shop unexpectedly. For this reason, preventive maintenance is really important. If you know of a source list for preventive maintenance things or advice to maintain this car, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Mona

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I assume you have replaced the 12 volt battery a few times (5 years seems to be the limit). It's probably due for its second spark plug replacement and should have had the transmission fluid replaced every 60k miles. How is the oil consumption? Many a Prius starts to burn oil before 150k.

Toyota seems to think that 150k miles is the projected life span for the Prius. So you are living on borrowed time.

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure to continue completing all of the scheduled maintenance listed in the owner's manual and you might just double the number of miles on your car. A few Gen 2 Prius' have made it to 350K miles with the original traction battery and engine.

Only 77,700 miles remaining before the odometer stops at 299,999 miles on my 05. I believe Yoda will make it - easily.

#3 jadziasman, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014