1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High pitched squeaking noise...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jaihawk, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Jaihawk

Jaihawk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    About a month ago, I purchased my 2013 Prius Four. I've put on about 2,500 miles so far and recently started noticing when I start the car up, it is giving off a high pitched squeaking noise. This happens both when the car is using the electric battery and when I can feel the gas engine kick in. After about a minute or two, the noise goes away and doesn't come back. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does the noise sound like the Vehicle Proximity Notification System which is demonstrated in this video....? If so, it's normal.

3. Carla Riggi

Carla Riggi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just TODAY I purchased my 2013 Prius Model 2. While test driving with the dealer and talking and turning the radio and things on and off I didn't notice anything. However, on the drive home, the super high frequency whine became painfully obvious. It's in dog-whistle range....and I can hear it. And it's PAINFUL. Seriously stressful and headache inducing. It gets worse whenever I step on the break. Not sure what to do. It's horrible!!

4. prius_speed

prius_speed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2 week old Prius 4 does this too. I just figure it's the regenerative brakes, etc. working.

5. Frank M

Frank M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    exactly my experience.
    the noise causes my ears to ring when i get home.
    something has to be done about it
    i have less than 100 miles on my car

6. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can unplug the proximity alert system pretty easily. It's located in the fender well below the drivers side headlight. You will need to open the access panel below the car just behind the bumper.