1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High pitched whine when braking

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Snowball, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've noticed more and more that when I am braking that I heard a high pitched whining noise. Sort of this ultrasonic type sound. It will only go away if I depress the brake pedal very firmly after being completely stopped. However every so often the firm press will not stop the noise. I hear it more in the evening on the way home than in the morning to work, though I may not be paying attention as much in the A.M. due to morning brain fog.

Does this happen to anyone else? I don't hear it any other time. I'm worried something is wrong with my inverter.

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're regenerating electricity man!(y) theya ll whine to some extent. when you press hard, you're engaging the friction brakes, don't do it!:p

3. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Ok. I only press hard once I'm completely stopped to get the whining to stop. Because it's still whining when I'm completely stopped! I don't think I'm still generating electricity when I'm not even moving.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, sorry, misunderstood. it's making the whining noise while your stopped?

5. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Yes, the sound starts when I press the brake to slow, and it continues to whine after I have already stopped. While I am stopped, I have the brake held in a static position to keep the car from rolling. From that pedal position, I have to press even further (mash the brake pedal down) to make the sound stop.

6. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    In the first couple of weeks of ownership, we kept looking out for the ambulance that never showed

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    since mr gee has confirmed your experience in his c, it sounds like it might be normal. but i have never heard it in my 3 pri or 2 hycams.

8. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Mine does it too. I think its the regen brake initiating. That's all. I think it's a normal part of the way the prius c brakes work. First it initiates the regen brake before the friction brake. That makes sense to me. Because I don't think the car can differentiate and apply only the friction brake while the vehicle is stopped. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    re gen is only active down to 6 mph, then it's pure fiction.