1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High tire pressure causing shimmy on highway grooves?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Nora, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I finally took my new-in-late-May Prius out of town. On a long stretch of grooved highway, there was an unnerving shimmy. Not dangerous, but not fun. A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a tire store owner (who is recommending the Nokian WRG2), and he inflated my stock tires to 44 psi, which is the max on the tire sidewall. He assured me that this would be just fine. Yes, the ride is rougher, but I'm not used to cushy rides anyway, so who cares. I do, however, think that the high pressure is related to the shimmy. (This based on the post in this forum with the link to tramlining.) So I'm going to back off the pressure to 42 front, 40 rear.

I'm hoping that the reduced pressure takes away the shimmy. That or maybe the problem will go away with a little tire wear?

Also, is there a resale market for my stock Bridgestone Ecopia tires? I know they are expensive, but those Nokian tires are calling my name. My previous car was a Subaru, and I'm a mite concerned about driving in the snow this winter.

2. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: I just checked the tire pressure, and it was actually at about 40 psi. The tires must have been warmer than I thought when he inflated them. Or my gauge is crap. At any rate, I reduced the back to 38 psi. We'll see if that makes a difference. I don't want to go much lower than this pressure.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The tire design itself is the cause of "following" those grooves in the pavement. Pressure will have minimal effect. If you want tires that can handle wet roads, a certain amount of this is necessary. The cause is those vertical gaps in the tread, and that's where the water needs to go. Some tires might handle water as well with angled gaps. In any case, blame the people who designed the grooved pavement.

If you think its weird in a car, try it on a motorcycle.

4. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can imagine it's much stranger on a motorcycle.