1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hitch and Bike Rack Compatibility

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by GoOutsideInstead, Jul 14, 2014.

1. GoOutsideInstead

GoOutsideInstead New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi. I have a 2014 Prius II, and recently installed a Hidden Hitch hitch (link below) to it in hopes of using it for a Yakima Holdup bike rack.

Hidden Hitch Receiver Hitches - Best Price on Trailer Towing Hitch by Hidden Hitch

I was told by the nice folks at autoanything that that model of the Hidden Hitch was the only hitch that fits my car. They had a Curt option and a DrawTite option that the website said would fit, but I was told those wouldn't actually fit my car when I called.

The bike rack does not appear to fit the hitch. When I insert the mount, it is blocked by a piece of metal inside the hitch before the holes line up. It looks like the rack requires a class II hitch, and the Hidden Hitch is only a class I (as are the Curt and DrawTite counterparts).

I have read multiple threads on here and other websites about Prius owners who have a Yakima Holdup (or Thule T2 rack, which also requires a class II hitch). Is there a class II hitch that fits a 2014 Prius? Should the Yakima rack fit with the class I hitch? Before returning one of the items, I want to make sure I'm not missing something that should allow them to work together.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. w2kpugsly

w2kpugsly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    you posted in the Prius C area, do you have a C or a Prius?
    looking at the Yakima website they have two versions of the holdup. 1 1/4 and 2". the class II hitch wouldn't fit inside the trailer receiver. I'd call Hidden Hitch directly and see what they have to say. Maybe your hitch is defective?

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just installed the Curt hitch you referred to. It fit very well and is a good quality item. Some hitches have the back closed and will not allow the mount to go far enough into the hitch. This is not the case with the Curt hitch. If your carrier uses a 1 1/4" insert it will fit the Curt hitch and the hitch will fit your car. I am talking about on a Prius C

4. grizdogg

grizdogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I concur, the Curt hitch works nicely.

5. w2kpugsly

w2kpugsly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on the Curtis hitch works great.

6. ucmenhvn

ucmenhvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought and put on my car a Draw-Tite hitch and a Swagman Trailhead 2 Bike Rack for 1/4"-2" Hitches - Tilting. Both work great. Pretty strait forward to put on. Nothing complicated.

7. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I remember reading recently that some hitch mfg weld up the back of the receiver so that adapters and such can't be used that will possibly exceed the limits if the hitch.

8. ucmenhvn

ucmenhvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The one i put on the car is open in the end. I only use it to put my bike rack and it works great.