1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hitch carrier for mobility scooter possible??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by blueberrycar, Sep 19, 2012.

1. blueberrycar

blueberrycar New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I have a 2006 Prius. We got a Curt hitch thinking that I would get a hitch carrier for my mobility scooter. The problem is that the only carriers made for scooters are for class 2 and up. From what I can tell, it's not a good idea to put a class 2 hitch on the prius, nor would it be good to have a tongue weight above 200 lbs anyway. The scooter is only 105 lbs, and I think it would be possible to have a carrier that is less than 100 lbs, but I'm thinking that we are going to have to modify one to add a ramp since I can't find a pre-made one. We know a welder who can help us, but I have a grant to help pay for the carrier and I don't think they are going to go for a home-made job.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Emily

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am retired and disabled in the UK. The company I used to work for are building an electric lift to fit in the back of my car to enable a range of the smaller mobility scooters to be lifted strait into the car.

The arrangement will be a platform that you can drive onto parallel to the back of the car. The scooter will then be clamped and lifted into the back of the car at the push of a button.

Unfortunately although the prototype is almost ready for testing "by me" it is estimated it could be up to two years before it can be put into production due to strict safety testing regulations to enable it to be put on sale to the public.

It is envisaged the lift will be suitable for a large range of hatchbacks and estate cars.

John.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. blueberrycar

blueberrycar New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for that link JimboPalmer - there are some ideas in there I might be able to use, and I hadn't seen that thread when I was searching before.

The product you are working on sounds great John - hope it works out well and we see it available for folks like me soon!

5. blueberrycar

blueberrycar New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think I finally found some options, in case anyone else sees this thread:

Harmar and Bruno both seem to make a mirco scooter lift for the outside of the car that will work with a class 1 hitch, making the total tongue weight under 200 lbs. There is also an option for a boom type lift that will pick up the scooter, and put it in the back of hte car, but I would need to be able to take the seat off, and I can't do that. The Harmar one looks like it is adjustable for lower or higher cars. The only thing I am concerned about it being able to wire it into the prius's little battery. we have a new non Toyota replacement battery, so maybe it will be ok?