1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Home Depot EVSE!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cheeseguy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cheeseguy

cheeseguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey! This Level 2 Charger is much cheaper then the Leviton Charger...Would this one work?

Electric Vehicle Charging Station

Check this out...and don't forget to thank me. (just kidding!)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    peef does not like the legrande, i forget why tho.

3. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought one; it looks and works great. You'll like the coiled cord too it’s a lot easier to manage. There are only two distributors for this line, Home Depot, and Menards. I bought from the second; they aren’t in my state so I saved on tax.

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's built with small gauge wiring, and not put together all that well.
    The Schnieder is better built, or you could upgrade your Toyota EVSE to run on 240V as well. If you need an additional EVSE, and you are electrically handy, you can build an "OpenEVSE" for under $500, capable of L1 or L2, up to 30Amps.. I did:

open-evse - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting

The portable L1/L2 openEVSE I built:
    [ame="http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/mitch672/OpenEVSE/"]OpenEVSE pictures by mitch672 - Photobucket[/ame]

5. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Not true, I was inside the unit and so was the electrician, and he checked the gage of the wire. If you felt and saw how heavy it is you’d be surprised. A picture isn't always worth a thousand words sometimes having the product in hand is better.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe he said "subpar" and "cheap" construction, the original unit he looked at was built similar to the Chevy Volt wall unit, had 16AWG cable, for example, on the J1772 cabling... Just the minimum to meet 12A charging

You get a much better value when you build your own, you are in control of what you put into it.

7. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL not true, but you are entitled to your opinion and prejudice. :D Hey we all think what we have is the best. It’s designed as a 20 amp 220V unit and it’s over sized for that use. It’s not a 30 amp unit. The PIP uses 16 amp.:D

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Len, Facts are not opinions... 16AWG is barley enough for 12A, a 20A unit should have 12AWG wiring throughout, there is no excuse for using a smaller gauge of wiring (other than the mfr is looking to save a few bucks at the expense of the customer) 30A units are for the 6.6KW onboard chargers, arriving in the 2013 Nisssan Leaf, and to make your EVSE somewhat future proof, why waste money on a smaller, less capable unit. Makes no sense, as they are within a few dollars of each other, buying a larger EVSE than you need now is a smart decision.. I bought a Schnieder at the end of 2011, at the time was $729, and Home Depot had a $50 off coupon, brought it down to $689, then I also got a %30 Federal credit (now expired) on my taxes, and yes, its a 32A unit, so what, it will still charge any EV or PHEV, even the PiPs 12A onboard charger.

9. cheeseguy

cheeseguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I ended up buying the Leviton level 2 portable charger. I am going to leave that one at the office. I figure I will let me maintenance mechanic put in the correct plug on a direct 30 amp breaker. I bought it from Amazon.com. It even included for install kit for free and shipping with amazon prime, so total was 918.73