1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HomeLink and gate openers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by shaun5stu, Mar 30, 2010.

1. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone had any luck getting the HomeLink system to open an entry gate? I live in a gated community and can't get the HomeLink system to open our gate. It will open our garage doors ok. I think this may be a HomeLink issue because I had the HomeLink system in my 2003 Avalon and I was also unable to get that unit to open our gate either. I've followed the instructions and, given that I was able to get our garage door openers to work with it, I'm fairly sure I'm doing the programming steps correctly.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Try going to homelink.com and input the opener make & model to get model specific instructions. It could be the opener uses rolling codes, which requires an additional step (pressing a button on the opener--instructions are included in your owners manual).

3. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Went to the website. No help. In fact, their section on programming gate openers refers to programming garage door openers, so it was obviously a bad cut and paste job. I don't believe our gate would use rolling codes since over 100 families have remotes to open the gate and I don't see how that would be possible. And even if it did, I would not have access to the learn button. (My garage door uses rolling codes though and I got that working correctly.)

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in the same boat....unable to get the homelink buttons to open our gate on either our 2006 Prius or our new 2010 Prius. Followed the directions, but no go. If it is a rolling code (like our garage door opener) then you have to have access to the learn button on the opener device......which isn't an option on our gate opener.

5. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, after doing some research, I discovered my gate opener is not compatible with the HomeLink system. The back of my gate remote says (among other things) "DoorKing MicroPLUS". Googled them and found MicroPlus's web site, which says "MicroPLUS controls are not compatible with the Homelink system found in many automobiles. Use our MicroCLIK product line for compatability with the Homelink system."

Suck!

MicroPlus Controls Access Control Solutions | DoorKing Access Control Solutions

Well, at least that answers the question as to why it doesn't work!

6. jzhou

jzhou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same here.
    I have unsuccessfully tried many times to set the home link to open the gate in my neighborhood.
    The original remote controller has 2 buttons. Push one button will open my own garage. And push both buttons to open the gate. I have got the home link working for my own garage. But not the 2 button gate opener. I do not know how to program the home link to simulate the 2 button opening process. I tried to program 2 home link buttons separately and failed.
    I also have googled the issue and did not find anything useful.
    Still looking.....:(

7. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would just try to program one HomeLink button for your gate. Pressing two buttons on your remote probably just tells it to send a different signal. Try programming one button on the HomeLink and, when you get to the part where you push the button on your original remote, push the two buttons. HomeLink may still be able to detect the signal and learn in.

8. tbran

tbran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all. New to the forum.
    I have a 2010 Prius III. I had a 2007 Prius II before with homelink. The 2010 did not have the homelink, so the dealer swapped my old 2007 homelink into the 2010. Now, homelink doesn't work. The green light comes on showing it has power, but it does not change to red and flash when I depress the opener button. Did the wiring change from the 2007 to the 2010? I called homelink and they said it was a wiring problem. I am taking it back to the dealer on Monday, but would be nice to have the answer to the problem since I don't really trust them to know what to do. Thanks for your help.

9. dmdiver

dmdiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My problem is that homelink used to open my work gate, then suddenly didn't work anymore. I thought it had accidentally been cleared, but the garage door button was still working fine. So, I spent a good 40 minutes attempting to reprogram with the gate controller. Still no luck. I tried a different button, thinking maybe there was something wrong with the button itself. No luck. I don't think the gate opener itself has been changed (that would have been quite a few remotes to fetch & reprogram). I don't know why it would suddenly stop working. Anyone else have problems with it not working when it had in the past?

10. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had the exact same issue mentioned by the OP and others in this thread wrt a neighborhood gate. My two garages were fine and the gate worked with my previous car. Not sure why I tried it but I tried the instructions in the manual for Canadian homelink programming and got the gate to work perfectly. Net net the rear view opener is now working for my garages and my street's gate. Hope this helps.

11. ramdisk01

ramdisk01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So you have a homelink installed with the Solar Roof package?

Was this factory or aftermarket? I understand there is an incompatibility issue.

12. voltoy

voltoy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Are you sure your gate is HomeLink compatible. Many are NOT. You can easily buy a HomeLink receiver and replace the one in the Gate controller if it is not. I have done this for several clients.

13. Geng

Geng New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope it helps (this worked for me)...
    HOMELINK LESSONS LEARNED
    GATE OPENERS (GATED COMMUNITY)
    STEP 1:
    TO RESET HOMELINK, PRESS THE 2 OUTER BUTTONS FOR 20 SECONDS. PUT ENGINE IGNITION TO ACC (ACCESSORY) POSITION OR THE SECOND POSITION (DO NOT PUT ENGINE TO ON). SELECT BUTTON TO PROGRAM THE GATE.
    NOTE: YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE BY THE GATE TO DO THIS!

STEP 2:
    PRESS, HOLD SELECTED HOME LINK BUTTON AND AT THE SAME TIME PRESS THE GATE OPENER KEY FOR 2 SECONDS AND LET GO. CYCLE IT. TRY ALSO 1-3 INCHES, THEN 6 INCHES, AND SO ON.
    NOTE: THE BATTERY SIDE SHOULD BE FACING THE HOMELINK BUTTONS.

STEP 3:
    ONCE SELECTED BUTTON HAS GONE FROM SLOW TO A FAST BLINK, THEN YOU CAN RELEASE BOTH BUTTONS. FROM THIS POINT, THE BUTTON IS PROGRAMMED (YOU CAN ALSO TELL BY PRESSING IT AND IT GIVES YOU A SOLID STEADY LIGHT- THIS IS NORMAL).

STEP 4:
    CHECK AND VERIFY THAT IT WORKS.