1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda to license fuel cell vehicles to individuals in the US

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by LazyBear, Jan 14, 2005.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Japan Today: Honda Motor Co announced Tuesday that it will start leasing its pollution-free fuel cell vehicles to individual customers in the United States by the end of 2005, becoming the first automaker to do so.

Original article here...

Just Auto: Honda has obtained a license from the US government to market its new fuel-cell vehicle in the United States.

[ADDED]: Techical data on Honda FCX (from JapanCorp):

Number of occupants 4 persons
    Maximum speed 150km/h
    Motor Max. output 80kW(109PS)
    Max. torque 272N/m(27.7kg/m)
    Type AC synchronous electric(Honda-made)
    Fuel cell stack Type Proton Exchange Membrane fuel cell(Honda-made)
    Output 86kW
    Fuel Type Compressed hydrogen gas
    Storage High-pressure hydrogen tank(350 atmospheres)
    Capacity 156.6 liters
    Dimensions(L x W x H, mm) 4165 x 1760 x 1645
    Energy storage Ultra-capacitor(Honda-made)
    Vehicle range*‚P 430km

*1LA-4 mode, Honda internal calculations
    *2 Refers to the FCX vehicle equipped with a Ballard fuel cell stack, available since 2002

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Honda to license fuel cell vehicles to individuals in th

So... what is the purpose?

The technology is clearly not ready for mainstream yet. Ignoring the whole "source of fuel" and "cost of fuel" issue, there are still quite a few holdbacks.

Assuming the stack cost will somehow be worked out, reliability is still a problem. That thin membrane cannot take a beating for the entire lifetime of the vehicle. In fact, the papers I have read state about 40,000 miles is the expectation. So even if they have doubled the reliability recently, it still falls well short of the mark.

Range factor is a huge deterrent too. GM claims they can now get close to 300 miles by using three 10,000 PSI tanks. Where exactly are they going to store those? Sacrificing an entire truck is something most people are not willing to do. And how long does it take to fill all of them?

Weight is an issue to also deal with. The older prototypes added over 2,000 pounds to the vehicle. A reduction of half is still way too much. Components like suspension, brakes, and tires will need to be beefed up to handle the increased load. And naturally, that's going to alter the dynamics of the vehicle... making it feel & handle different, as well as increase cost.

The show-stopper though is cold weather operation. The latest info I can find is the "breakthru" Honda had allowing the stack to operate down to 20F degrees. That is an obvious problem for many of us. Temperatures are much lower than that for days at a time in some places. And in Minnesota, you can actually go for weeks without an evening temperature getting that high. So winter is a clear problem, not even considering how long it takes to actually get heat too.

What about the summer cooling? How much does travel-range shorten when you have the A/C running a lot?

With so many issues still, Honda's plan to put the technology in hands of consumers this soon seems like just a reputation-building effort. Does taking some attention away from hybrids make sense right now?

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's partly beta test, and partly PR move.

Fuelling mishaps will be exciting.

4. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The spec says 400km (250 miles) and 256 liters of hydrogen. I guess Honda will be leasing cars at loss. I think it is a good opportunity to own ZERO emission car. Hybrids still burn gasoline and generate CO2 at about 50% or diesel car rate (I believe Prius generates about 50g CO2 per km). Even if everyone in the USA owned a Prius, 200 million Priuses would still generate TEN THOUSAND TONS of CO2 PER ONE KILOMETER.

However, I personally believe that battery techology will be improving faster than hydrogen production and fuel cell technology. So we will end up with car that will have 200hp electric motor with 200-300 miles range battery plus small 50hp backup gasoline engine in case you completely drain the battery in the middle of nowhere. Battery will be charging from breaking and from main outlet in your garage at night.

As for electricity generation, nuclear power is still the future.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"63676)</div>

I had to think about your response for a while.

The first thing that comes to mind is that Honda wants to get an idea as to how they will work in an actual real world environment. There are still alot of people commenting on hybrids in the exact same manner that you just did on the FCX.

Personally, I like it. I'd love to have a truely useful vehicle that could be used for real commuting, yet still not need to buy a single drop of gasoline.

Yes, you are right that they are not yet ready for the mainstream. However, this may be the first baby step into getting them out there, and functional in a real world environment. If Honda could answer the question on where I could get the vehicle refueled, and I could afford to, I'd sign up for one of these. The only downer to it, is that with the shortish range, it still isn't up to the task of a long distance trip. Because of this, I'd still require a regular car for taking vacations, as I seldomn spend them, sitting around the house.

IMO, Honda deserves a thumbs up for this attempt. With as intense as you appear to be regarding the environmental benefits of new automobile technologies, I'm highly surprised at your negative reaction to the vehicle.

6. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

In fact, hybrids will not save environment. On average hybrid car cuts CO2 emissions in half. Since you can't expect everyone to like 80hp car like Prius with 12s 0-60 acceleration, you have to assume that some people will be driving 300hp hybrids. 300hp hybrid will produce as much emissions as 150hp ordinary car. Moreover, with growing income in countries like China and India more and more people will want to own cars. 200 million or so cars in the US is nothing compared to how many cars Chinese will be driving in the next 50 years. Hybrids will only postpone disaster by 10 or 20 years. So I give two thumbs up to Honda since they are trying to make real difference introducing zero emission vehicle. Remember, 5 years ago people looked strange at those who went and bought first Honda Hybrid.

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mmm i dont like the last post.

8. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak\";p=\"63984)</div>
    flareak, you might have to be a little more specific if you want any kind of results. :lol:

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what's the lease rate per month going to be. I suspect the average car buyer won't be able to afford it. My guess is $1150 per month. Plus the lease on the hydrogen refueling station, Plus the cost of the natural gas feed stock, Plus the cost of electricity to convert NG to Hydrogen. I'm thinking total per month $1475 Slap me if I'm wrong but I can't see any normal car buyer/leaser getting into this. Just got a leaflet from the Industrial Trade Show in Chicago and there is a blurb about a Hydrogen fuel stack for forklifts and one of the items on it that caught my eye was MTBF 1000 hrs. We have forklifts in our rental fleet with 25,000 hours on them. At most maybe a valve grind, but not a total failure. They have put a couple into the Fedex distribution warehouse. I'll like to hear the results from that. There is no way the bean counters will fund that sort of equipment. Just not cost effective. Yes I know you have to charge the batteries but you still need electricity and NG feed to produce the hydrogen. I'll be dead before fuel cells are 1/10 of 1% of vehicles on the road, and I'm only 57.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LazyBear\";p=\"63974)</div>
    That's a common misconception, which stems from the "assist" hybrids... since they are in fact a dead end.

"Full" hybrids do not have that shortcoming. They can & will become more and more and more dependent on electricity.

The proof of this is rather obvious too. Just look at Toyota's fuel-cell vehicle. It is called FCHV, which stands for "Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle". The components within are similar to that in Prius. They both have electric motors, electric steering, electric A/C, a storage device for electricity, and the ability to capture electricity from braking. Further proof of this is the fact there are already at least two prototypes of Prius having been converted to use power from fuel-cells.

Trying to force a specific technology simply doesn't make sense. Prius will naturally become that ultimate solution we wish to achieve. That may or may not be fuel-cells.

The better way of establishing a market presence for fuel-cells is to focus on the micro type first, especially since there is a dramatically larger audience & product-base for that technology... just look at all the portable devices which currently use batteries that could significantly benefit from a fuel-cell. Notebook computers could be used dramatically longer and be instantly "recharging" by simply swapping the empty methanol canister with a full one.

After all, the success of NiMH came about that way... by using it in small, portable devices first.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

There are reviews of the vehicle available at...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...6&page_number=1
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/altern...onda/index.html

This was in the July issue, so it was probably a few months earlier.

As for refueling, I know there is at least one hydrogen refueling station in DC, but I do not know if it will be able to service this particular car. I would imagine Honda will only be selling it in areas where they can partner with people who can fuel the car.

Honda can, and probably will, take a loss on the car, especially since I think they'll have to lease it at a normal price. But it's great that they're trying.

Some interesting tidbits from the article that I think are interesting is the mention that the car uses an ultra-capacitor.

As much as I love my prius, I have to agree with the poster above. Hybrids are just a stopgap. This is the way forward.

12. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Oh, fuel cell hybrids or hybrids with large batteries IS the future. As I said earlier, I personally believe that battery techology will be improving faster than hydrogen production and fuel cell technology. So we will end up with cars that have 200hp electric motor with 200-300 miles range battery plus small 50hp backup gasoline engine or fuel cell stack in case you completely drain the battery in the middle of nowhere. Battery will be charging from breaking and from main outlet in your garage at night. Power for mains will be generated by nuclear stations.