1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honeybee colony collapse

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Apr 5, 2007.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've oft thought about the consequences of our warming planet on the pollinating insects that we require in order to eat our fruits, vegetables and nuts. It appears that there is now another catastrophic threat underway that's killing off colonies of our honeybee. They're not yet sure what's driving the colony collapse but anticipate significant increased costs to our food supply. This phenomenon is affecting Honeybee colonies nationwide. Bee samples have displayed virtually every known bee virus to be present in the sample study. Immune system deficiencies seem to be at work.

One article stated that a new form of nicotine based pesticide may play a role. Another speculates on other types of pesticides applied for agricultural and residential use play a role (cut down on the toxic stuff if you can, folks), while yet another speculates on stressors such as hive transport, mites, fungus, etc.

As one article mentions, honeybees are a vital component to our $14 Billion agricultural industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/27/business...nyt&emc=rss

For anyone interested in preserving solitary bee populations, put out a bee nesting box containing varied hole sizes. The box is left out all winter. Make sure that you don't move the box or you can dislodge the larvae from their food source. In Spring, the overwintering larvae will hatch. The box must be cleaned for the very same reasons as mentioned above...mites. For a true hobby, cleaning of the larvae cases can be performed and then the cases are maintained at controlled humidity and temperatures until outdoor temperatures are habitable in the Spring.

I took the geek test in FHOP and I'm really not a geek, fyi.

2. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It’s ether:
    Gorge Bush,
    Dick Chaney
    Halliburton
    or global warming.. :blink:

3. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to believe that either their populations will rebound or a more adaptive bee will evolve or be "created". The pollin/pollinator niche will always be there and something will fill it.
    Few people understood the importance of bees in pollination until the last decade and bees were always considered a pest/threat. Nowdays many more people are discovering that the benefits of a bee colony are more than just honey. Hives might actually be left alone instead of removed in the future.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Apr 5 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]418278[/snapback]</div>
    That's ok, we can always hire illegals to replace the bees if necessary.

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hope that on some level you are right. The variable that's concerning to the people studying this is that there is no record of such catastrophic occurrences to bee populations in historical records. At least that's what I read on one website. Hopefully your survival of the fittest, procreation theory is right. If not, my entire diet is negatively affected.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Apr 5 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]418319[/snapback]</div>
    You're definitely correct, the question more on people's minds is what will happen the next decade or two? Evolution takes time, people's diets and pocketbooks aren't on the same timescale. I was just reading about a new fruit moth from Australia that was discovered in California, and might cause big problems if it spreads. Invasive species (including invasive diseases) is a vector that's increased significantly because of human activity, and while nature will eventually adapt to that - and global warming - with or without us, it will take time, which could be a real inconvenience on our civilized lifestyle. Reliance on monocultures increases our risks significantly.

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Apr 5 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]418325[/snapback]</div>
    plants can be manually pollinated, though it's a hassle and I don't think illegal aliens are going to fill the pollinator role. (that was funny!)

Humans have solved disease problems for many species besides its own. If the bee decline does get serious, I am sure we'll get to the bottom of it and find a way to solve it. Even if it does include Genetically modifying them as a last resort. Plants also can evolve around it and use other pollinators too.

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those were not the hummers I wanted to go away....

9. Loveit

Loveit New Member

There is a whole lot more to this than meets the eye.

Maybe one day America will wake up before it's too late.