1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hood Release Cable replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jeremnyc, Jun 6, 2014.

1. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 08's hood release failed. I found some info here about getting the hood open. I ended up using the 10mm with a 1/4" drive through the front. It was a bit tricky, but I got it out. It looks like the "ball" at the hood end of the cable simply fell off.

When I had it out, I wrapped an insulated 12# wire around the release mechanism and installed the mechanism again. Now, I pull a wire to open the hood partially and it operates as normal after that.

I ordered a new hood cable. Has anyone snaked one through? Any advice? The new one came with a "handle." Thanks in advance.

2. ShadeTreeMechanic

ShadeTreeMechanic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi JeremyMC.
    Yes, to replace a broken hood release cable on a 2nd generation Prius, requires to remove the black plastic shroud on the radiator top support, pinch 2 black plastic retaining clips, jack up the driver's front left of the car, place a jack stand under the car frame, remove the driver's front left wheel, remove driver's front left black plastic outer fender liner, remove round split rubber bung from the outside firewall, slide back the black rubber weather accordian from the driver's left inside footwell, and gently pull on the broken cable to snake it out.
    Reverse the steps to reinstall.
    Takes about 2 hours.
    ShadeTreeMechanic.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

M@ Childress likes this.
  3. M@ Childress

M@ Childress Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THANK YOU!!!

Used these directions to run wires forward through the firewall in an ‘08 Prius for after market fog lamps.