1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOPEFULLY 12 volt battery problem.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by adamace1, May 17, 2014.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today I was at the store and had a bunch of meat and frozen food and the hatch opened on my car. I loaded everything got in the car and the brake pump didn't run, then no lights on the dash, no power button light nothing. Car would lock once then would not respond. I was thinking it was the 12 volt battery and I have been meaning to replace it this year so I wouldn't run into a problem. Anyways I had someone bring a 12 volt jumper and I used that instead of another car to jump start it, nothing then after pushing the brake pedal and power switch a dozen or so time it went to ready mode, but the whole right side display was gone, and the triangle warning light was on, I drove it home. Then let it sit then it would restart just fine but still lost half of the dash displays. I got a new battery from dealer and installed it and everything seems to be fine, including the right screen. I hope I got the problem fixed. The old battery was almost 5 years old.
    I also have been getting 46-47 mpg for w while now I hope that will improve, as I have read a lot of genii owners reporting worse mpg with a worn out 12volt.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sounds like you've got everything handled.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully, you got it. all the best!(y)

4. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Note to self.... Replace 12v in 5 years...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Zzzt

Zzzt 2004 Salsa Red w/185,000 mi - now driven by my son

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There was a way to check the voltage of the 12v battery on a GenII by entering the tech mode on the display, but I can't remember what it was... for those of you curious, you might want to do that to see what condition your 12v battery might be in. I think John1701A had the post...

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems it was just the battery, Mpg did not increase with a new battery vs the failing battery.