1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn Upgrade --- DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by evpv, Jan 2, 2011.

1. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The meep-meep horn on my Prius V just didn't put out enough bark for traffic conditions here in Southern California. Searching around I came across info about replacement horns from a company called FIAMM. They sound significantly louder and deeper tone than the stock Toyota horns, kind of like horns from a Cadillac.

Here's a DIY on my install, and a video that gives a before and after comparison of the sound.

Note: Prius Plug-In owners, see the bottom of the post for special instructions.

Sound comparison:

This is a true plug-n-play installation, no wires need to be cut or soldered. Installation time is about 30 minutes, but I could probably do it again in 10 minutes now that I know all of the steps.

A few people have asked about relays. I installed mine with no extra relay added. A relay shouldn't be necessary because the current draw of these horns is very close to the stock horns, so you won't be putting any additional stress on the wiring system.

I started by buying FIAMM Freeway Blaster high and low note horns on Amazon, just $21+shipping for everything you need:

72102 FIAMM Freeway Blaster Horn High Tone
    72112 FIAMM Freeway Blaster Horn Low Tone

-or-

74100 FIAMM El Grande Twin Horns (Red)*

*Update May, 2015: The Freeway Blaster horns have gone up in price since the original post. Several owners have reported that the less expensive 74100 Fiamm El Grande horns also work fine, come in a convenient twin horn package, cost less, and they're slightly smaller so they're a little easier to install. The El Grande horns are 128 dB while the Freeway Blaster are 130 dB.

[​IMG]

Next was removal of the trim cover above the radiator. Three clips hold it on, pull up the clip with your fingernail, then wedge it off with a standard screwdriver. Note: If you have big hands and arms it might be necessary to take off the upper bumper clips for easier access.

[​IMG]

There are two stock horns, located on either side of the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, remove the Toyota emblem from the front bumper so you have easy access to the horns. Just two screws hold it in, you'll need a stubby phillips (+)screwdriver because the area is pretty tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unclip the stock power plugs (I recommend doing that before you loosen the horn because it's easier to get a grip on it). You'll need a 14mm wrench to get the old horns off, and a 10mm wrench to install the new horns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Install the new horn using the stock bracket, bend it back a little because the new horn is bigger than the stock one. Clip on the supplied ground plug to either prong, then slide the other end over the horn mounting screw, contact with the metal mounting bracket provides the electrical ground to chassis. Tighten supplied mounting nut with a 10mm wrench. Clip on stock horn plug. Then do the other horn, same procedure. You might want to look at the horns through the front grill and adjust the angles. It's best to have the horn opening point down so no water accumulates inside.

Reinstall front emblem and trim cover. Here's what they look like from outside.

[​IMG]

Enjoy :D

For Prius Plug-In owners:

1) You need to remove the fasteners that secure the top portion of the bumper cover to provide additional room. It doesn't matter if you have small hands, because...

2) You need to remove the speaker that warns pedestrians when you're at low speed. Only way to do that is at the bracket mount, which you can't get to unless you loosen the top of the bumper cover. If you don't do this, there's no way you're going to get to the right horn.

3) Because you have to do 1 and 2, I found it easier to remove the nut holding the bracket and horn, then remove them though the emblem hole, and then remove the horn from the bracket.

Attached Files:

#1 evpv, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. JJB

JJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice write-up! A few years back I had a Jeep Rubicon with 35" tires. The stock jeep horn made our factory Prius horns sound manly in comparison. That was just embarrassing laying on that horn when some jerk cut me off.

Rather than finding a new horn that sounded like a Cadillac, I went to the local junkyard, and found the biggest 70's vintage Cadillac they had. That sucker had 4 horns in it. A few hours of fabbing brackets and wiring up a relay, and WHOOOoOOoOoO!

KeithW2 likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice job!

4. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice. How much is this complicated by the DRCC, which is part of the front emblem, I think. I would like to do this, too.

5. 50mpglol

50mpglol New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sounds good.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wait a second! not so fast! aren't you the u/a troll? don't go blowing your horn at us!:mad:

7. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mine is non-radar so I'm not sure what's different. The reason I removed the emblem is because the FIAMM horns are a little too big to squeeze through the gaps between the chassis and radiator. If the DRCC doesn't come out easily you can always just remove the front bumper.

1 person likes this.
  8. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My trollishness is greatly exaggerated :D

But you can bet if I ever experience unintended acceleration my horn will be heard.

KeithW2 likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just tazing you bro.:)

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no doubt that you are fully capable of honking your own horn.:D

Nice write-up:cool:

Sezy likes this.
  11. pixelmixer

pixelmixer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The meep-meep horn on my Prius V just didn't put out enough bark for traffic conditions here in Southern California. Searching around I came across info about replacement horns from a company called FIAMM. They sound significantly louder and deeper tone than the stock Toyota horns, kind of like horns from a Cadillac.

Thanks for the nice write-up! I'm in SO CA as well, and commute 75 miles round trip daily in heavy L.A. traffic. The stock Prius horns have proven ineffective to a big rig driver making a lane change right into my lane on the 710.

I have been contemplating this for the last 6 months, but my concern has been giving the dealer an excuse for voiding the warranty on the car. Unlike some other posters horn updates, yours appears to be a complete plug-and-play install, so I don't see how the dealer could get too upset about it if it was done clean. The price is right too; much better than $90.00 for the "Toyota premium horns."

I'm very tempted to go ahead with this mod.

12. BNAL

BNAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ordered the same horns before reading this review. I want to thank you for the installation.

13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If either of you guys want to meet up in Irvine I'd be happy to do the install. They're trying to organize a SoCal meet sometime soon, we could do the install at that meeting too. It's very quick and easy to do once you know the steps and have the tools ready.

14. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was going to order those same horns a while back but they fell onto the back burner for me. Great install guide though.

Oh, there's a socal meet on the 8th if you're interested. There's a thread in the groups section of the forum.

1 person likes this.
  15. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I complement you on the instructions, I beg to differ about removing the emblem.

I replaced the Prius horns with Freeway Blasters a few months ago. I used the video by "Downrange" in post # 32 from the following thread as a guide.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ifications/68226-2010-horn-replacement-4.html
    I did NOT have to remove the emblem.

j12piprius and Bullet Salvador like this.
  16. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Either way works, but removing the emblem only requires removal of 2 screws. Removing the upper bumper clip is 2 bolts plus the plastic clips. And, the emblem hole allows super easy access for your arm. If you've already done it you know the gap between the upper bumper and chassis is very narrow and has lots of sharp edges to attack your arm. But thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that video.

17. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the write up! I was thinking about installing some Hella Supertones :)

I have $300 in Subaru bucks and the place I buy my parts from allows me to buy aftermarket parts with them... Muhahaha.

Mike3309 likes this.
  18. Speedracer0284

Speedracer0284 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just did this myself, picked up the horns at carquest. $48 and 45 minutes later my car sounds like a car, instead of a barbie mobile tricked out with a solar panel and kick arse batteries. Wife was so impressed she let me honk the horn whenever I wanted. Thank God I live in a rural enviroment.

mjgill1 likes this.
  19. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks EVPV...this thread motivated me to tackle the installation of some FIAMM Riviera trumpet air horns...different than these shown.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-66020-Projector-Riviera-Compressor/dp/B000DLBHP8

I had a set from Northern Tool that had been sitting around after a $14 purchase a few years ago. They give the Italian 'Ferrari or Maserati' sound and are fun and distinctive - and loud. There is an air compressor that requires wiring and mounting as well as two different sized trumpet horns, in this case plastic. I ended up creating a 6 " bracket from 6061 T6 aluminum to mount one of the horns attached to the passenger side original horn mount, where I also directly mounted the compressor. Wired direct into the existing elec. supply from the original horn. Grounded the other lead at the mounting point. Attached the second trumpet at the other horn mount (driver's side.) I did not use the included relay having done this on other cars with no problem. Plastic tubing connecting the horns to air pump/supply. Sounds like a champ! However there is NO WAY I could have done this without removing the emblem, and I still have a couple of bloody knuckles even having done that.

Just another take on horns but thanks again to the OP for the great simplification of my project

Ciao, grazie!!

20. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice job and thanks for the write-up w/ what looks to be easy-to-follow-directions. Seriously considering following suit. I've always thought smaller cars shouldn't come with these little "please-oh-pretty-please-don't-hit-me" horns. I had a high school bud who stuck a semi-truck horn in an '81 Prelude. Man, you should have seen people hop when that thing went off!