1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn Upgrade --- DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by evpv, Jan 2, 2011.

1. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I saw those on Amazon when I was buying my Freeway Blasters. They look like they're a few dollars less expensive but I'm not sure how they sound.

2. RufusNapkin

RufusNapkin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The "non" Freeway Blaster low tone is rated at 125db. My only concern is loudness compatibility. 125 seems loud enough so we'll see.

It's a mystery why they don't just sell a HB HI/LO Package.

3. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always been annoyed by the modest sound from the original horns on my 2008 model. I ordered the Freeway Blasters on Amazon after reading this thread. The high tone had a 125dB notation on it and the low town 132 dB.

Installation was done in 30 minutes, just removed one plastic cover right under the hood.

I must say that I do hear a difference with my old "beep-beeps"... but not a big difference.

If you want to scare the heck out of people, these "freeway blasters" are not the right ones. Still installation is easy and I guess there is an improvement.

4. Michael D. Austin

Michael D. Austin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great instructions, thanks, evpv. This afternoon when I went to Pep Boys hunting a license plate frame, I instead walked out with these exact two horns although I hadn't seen your post.

I didn't know I'd find such good instructions, so thanks for taking the time to do this. These Fiamms sound good, and I've been used to decent horns.

Although I had thoughts of upgrading the horns to make them REALLY loud, these are more serviceable. My frame of reference is the hand-held boat horn which I sometimes hang on my road bicycle; when people hear it is scares 'em into paying attention. But a cooler attitude has here prevailed.

Update 2-19-11:

Just finished. Thanks, evpv, for the confidence provided by your instructions. For $40 plus tax from Pep Boys, the two Fiamm Freeway Blasters will be much more effective than the OEM horns here in Southern California. All that I used besides that was

1. two 3M (pink - 22-16s) quick connectors,
    2. a couple of short lengths of 14 gauge automotive wire (the smaller 16 would have been a closer match but I had the 14 on hand),
    3. my own two spade electrical connectors because they were slightly better than the horn kit's, and
    4. some electrical tape to protect my connections from the onrush of elements at the front of the car.

Your badge advice was lovely because it afforded more working room. And the plaster bumper fasteners were surprisingly re-usable because I was careful.

5. charlesinoc

charlesinoc meep meep :-)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost broadsided a car today, it appears she thought it was a 4 way stop intersection. Not surprised, my Prius came to a controlled stop in the rain. Your right, the meep-meep doesn't cut it in Southern California.

While I was on a test drive, a big rig turned left directly on to my path. The salesman yelled, "he's not supposed to do that"!, I was like, damn the braking system is very impressive, as the car came to a controlled sudden stop!

;p :focus:

6. lisozaki

lisozaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the write up and great photos. It's really appreciated

7. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    :thumb:

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Man, sounds like near-accidents are attracted to you...

9. 2011v

2011v Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great write up! Just picked up both horn blasters at Pep Boys for 20 bucks each.

Anyone need a set of 2011 OEM horns ............ would make a great Christmas gift.

10. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed some aftermarket Piaa(?) horns and they're much louder than stock, but some of the pickups and cars in the parking lot at work are easily two or three times as loud it seems(their doorlock beeps). But I assume with the small placement area there aren't any small -really loud- horns available, at any price?

11. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is my install of some air horns...
    I pulled most of the front end to help with the install.
    If you want to make a similar bracket let me know because I have the measurements.
    I removed the passenger's side horn completely and disconnected the driver's side because it sounded funny.
    It took my father and I about 3 hours start to finish including making the bracket (We used 2 pieces of 1" x 3/16" flat stock that were welded at the 90).
    These are the 13 and 14 inch horns.
    It is a little too low tone for me, I might have to change it to shorter horns for a higher tone.

Sorry for rambling...
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Alan

Photo Album: http://img27.imageshack.us/g/img0557ol.jpg/

1 person likes this.
  12. johnmaci

johnmaci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just installed a set of PIAA 85112 115db 500HZ + 600HZ Sports Horns on my 2011 and it now sounds like a Ferrari horn :)
    I did not have to remove the emblem and found it easiest to remove the 10 or so clips and two bolts holding the front fascia, and simply pull it back far enough to get the OEM horns and brackets off. I switched brackets since the OEMS were a bit longer and did not have to stretch the wires as far and dumped the plastic protective rain covers that came with the PIAA's since that area is pretty well sealed off underneath. the original connector to one spade, and other to any good ground (comes with 2 male/female spade connector wires).

13. silica

silica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated if you could post some photos. Sounds like a nice installation.

14. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I am going to change to the Ferrari style air horns as well.
    Ditto on the posting of your install photos.

Alan

15. EVPrii

EVPrii New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Such an odd concept. The culture up here in Nor Cal is so different. You will almost never hear anybody honk their horn. EVER. It just doesn't happen. We all drive as if we are the only one on the road. It can be a nightmare for people who did not grow up here, as we all drive like nuttballs. We don't even use our blinkers (which drives my roommate, a So Cal native, nuts).

I sometimes forget that I even have a horn in my vehicle...:p

16. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Great DYI,These Horn sound as good as my $70 Hella horns I put in my toyota yaris! it was a little more work than what you had to do, Took two hours had to pull the bumper cover off.It's always easier the second time..lol. Will get a set of these for my Prius Cheap and easy mod!

17. junpangit

junpangit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    nice one... sounds great

18. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm about to head outside and replace my own horns so I can be safer here in Chicago traffic. Thanks for the great write up and horn recommendation. I got the same ones. Gonna put them in my 2010 Prius 4.

Thanks again for the great writeup. :D

19. pictone

pictone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed the Freeway Blasters yesterday after ordering from Amazon. Thanks to evpv and pixelmixer! Sure came in handy today when some idiot was coming right at me while he was driving on the wrong side of the road!

20. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad it helped, congrats on the install. :thumb: