1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn Upgrade - the easy way

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by type17volkswagen, Oct 19, 2013.

1. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Coming from VWs with strong dual horns, I'd been really wanting to upgrade. I read a couple of threads but didn't want to go through the bumper pull. In fiddling around, I found I could remove three pins that hold the radiator cover in place and it gave me just enough wiggle room to work.

I ordered a cheap set of horns from eBay for $25 that INCLUDES a bracket and wiring. Just search eBay for "loud euro fiamm" and you'll see the post. I put them on this morning and guess what? They fit perfectly with no mods needed to the bracket (the seller has long and short brackets, I got the short). I just removed the single hot wire from the old horn and connected the red wire from the horn set to it. I grounded the black wire back around the bolt that held the old horn in place. Works great and sounds MUCH better - like a real car.

decibel08 likes this.
  2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    thanks. are much louder and deeper than the stock ones?

3. type17volkswagen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Oh h**l yeah.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They're used takeoffs though. Why not buy the FIAMM freeway blasters new off of Amazon?

At the time I did my upgrade, Amazon wouldn't ship one of the horns to Hawaii. I was able to get equivalent FIAMM horns from NAPA direct and pick it up locally.

SCH-I535

5. type17volkswagen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So do you have a Prius C or a Prius? If Prius, did you have two horns already with existing mounts and wiring for two? The C has one mount point and one wire so I didn't want to fiddle around with the wiring between two horns and figuring out the mounting brackets.

As to why not off Amazon, these are less money, have ONE mount and ONE wire, and let a used part become re-used.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, this is the c forum. Sorry, wasn't aware that the c didn't already have dual mounting for horns like the hatchback and v.

Even though it wouldn't be hard to fabricate a mount for the horns, this is easier for someone who wants to press the Easy Button. ;)

SCH-I535

ztanos likes this.
  7. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i took your idea but i opted to get used OEM lexus horns. they look the same as you installed. basically they are the toyota premium horns.

8. type17volkswagen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A member had asked for pics of the pins I removed to be able to slide the radiator cover out of the way (a bit). Since I took them I figured I might as well add them to the post for anyone else that might be interested. Two of the pics show vertical pins attached to the radiator support. One pic shows the horizontal pin attached to the bumper cover.

And yes, I know it's dirty in there. It's been a looong winter and spring cleaning is on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did you install one or two Lexus horns?
    X

10. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

i installed 2. high and low tone. they look very similar to the ones pictured in this thread. but it was more work. i had to make a bracket and then do extra wiring.