1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horrible gas mileage today....

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by KYBlue, Aug 4, 2013.

1. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Heh.... Wife got me this for my birthday, it was a blast! Did 3 laps with a pro and 8 on my own at KY Speedway this morning. If you ever get the chance, DO IT!

I'm pretty sure the gas I used in 8 laps would last the Prius for a month!

C

steveoknievo likes this.
  2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your line is all wrong and you are getting on it way late coming out of the turns, but man I bet that was a blast. :D

3. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    They forced us low, the pros had the upper part of the track. Also, they had cones at each turn, I was forced at the first set at entry in each turn to let off the gas, and 2nd set blip the brake to set the front end down. The last few laps I got on it some in the corners, but ya it was fun regardless!

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I've seen it done here in Atlanta. They limit the cars here to 180mph instead of the 200+ they could be doing. :confused:

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've never driven KY but its similar to Charlotte and Atlanta where I have lots of race laps. He's right, your laps just hugged the inside curb and that is wrong. Surely your instructor didn't teach you that. Normal line is nearer the outside curb and curve inward to apex just past the center of the curve and back out to the outer curb down the next straight getting to the next curve. Repeat. The reason for the apex just past halfway thru the corner is because you need to maximize the speed out of the corner and that means straightening the exit path as quickly as possible without jeopardizing thde speed at the apex. That means you get to full power quicker and increased speed on the straight entering the next curve.

6. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ya, given that I was responsible for 15k if I damaged the car, and the instructor pointed out the bright orange squares on the track I could not go past (you can't see those or the cones indicating where we had to lift throttle/brake in the turns), ya I did follow exactly what he said. Like I said, there were 9 cars on the track, 3 pros diving people, and 6 of us NEWBs. The pros had the top of the track, I was allow about 1.75 lanes. Yes I kept it low. Could I have gone faster - sure. Could I have done much different, no. If you notice in one of the first laps I go a little higher in the turn, the spotter was immediately all over me for doing so. The pros were going much faster than us in non-de-tuned cars.

Either way I had a blast.

Chris

ztanos likes this.