1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot temps and Prius battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GaryHere, Aug 4, 2014.

1. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought a new 2014 Liftback and had questions about the battery/cooling.

Should there be a huge concern over the battery in hot climates like there is with the Leaf's batteries?

What type of thermal management is there for the Prius battery? (don't see anything in the manual on this)

From what I read, the Prius battery is cooled with a fan but when does it operate? (Car only on I guess. not when parked in hot sun?)

I try to park it in the shade/windows cracked.

I haven't read much about these batteries having heat issues like Leafs though heat is not a friend to batteries.

Thanks for replies ahead of time! :D

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, keep your vent clear and your a/c on. if you're comfy, so is your battery. if you carry any pets, add a pre filter to the vent. all that being said, statistically, warmer climes may have shorter lifespans than cooler, but there's not much else you can do. don't push it hard if you can help it i suppose.

TsKarma likes this.
  3. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Ok, good advice, thanks for the reply. Since we don't hear much negative feedback on the Prius battery/hot temps vs the Leaf, is it safe to assume it is less prone to these problems?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the leaf made some adjustments after those problems turned up. it may be that toyota's conservative battery usage is helpful, and it's not all ev like the leaf. you can find threads here though, from people who have had issues. not enough for a recall or tsb, etc.

are you not in new york?

#4 bisco, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  5. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, not at this time. Southern OK now (have country place/relatives here) where the temps are hot in Summer. 100+ at times. I woudnt buy a NYC car lol.

I guess im battery phobic because we were all set to get a Leaf then read all the horror stories of battery degradation with heat and the Prius is way more practical. We would have to get it shipped all over as we travel. Would be very cool to have both but that's it now for the funds. Orig had the C but returned for the liftback which is kinda night and day from the Prius C.

At least theres a great warranty on the battery, by that time I would prob have traded/sold it for GenIV

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha. i think you'll be good for at least 100k.

7. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks a lot bisco!

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to provide a counter-argument, here's a portion of an August 2010 Honda recall notice, regarding a software update for the second gen Civic Hybrid system:

"Frequent stop-and-go driving with A/C use during warm weather speeds up the IMA battery deterioration"

Not saying it follows with the Toyota hybrid system, but I would pose the question:

Has Toyota recommended A/C use as a way to prolong the battery? Or is this just conjecture? Cooler air to the battery sounds good, but does the additional loading of running A/C outweigh the benefit?

Bottom line, I don't see it being a slam dunk that using the A/C is a benefit.

TsKarma likes this.
  9. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When I was at Toyota today for a "checkup" (lol) I talked for a while to many of the techs. there. Some are older and there a long time. We talked about regen braking and more and then I asked about 4 of them there as we chatted about the battery and heat.

They just said after many many years working in service, they havent had any battery issues that they knew of due to heat so......I took that as good.

TsKarma likes this.
  10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple experiment. Drive one day with AC and another day without. Compare HV battery temp and report back. Quite eye opening experience.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing to look out for, on hot day the Prius battery can heat up after parking if it is fully charged (all green bars on a Gen2). Does not impact most of us, but some folks have a huge downhill coming into work with battery all charged up. If this is the case, try to run the batt down a slight amount. Otherwise all you can do is try to keep the battery cool via A/C.

The other I am trying to do more, is warm up. if you have 60-secs, warm-up the car in park. The ICE engine will come on and charge up the batt a couple bars. After about a minute the car is warmed up, the ICE goes off suddenly, and you're to the next stage of WARM-UP, and if you pull out there is less of a chance the battery will drop down into the low charge area. Especially after vacation if the car was sitting for a week, I see the HV battery struggle the first 5 minutes if especially A/C is on. This is especially when a short warm up is in order.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you know if that's doable with a Scanguage, say with one of the XGauges? I'm game to try, but a bit of a luddite when it comes to programming. ;)

Addendum: Ok, see hybrid battery temp is available. I've never programmed and XGauge before, though. Will give it a try.

Addendum02: Well, maybe easier for younger, more nimble minds. But me and my Scanguage reached an impasse, lol.

#12 Mendel Leisk, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  13. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please believe having the A/C on will prolong your battery life. I am from SoCal, and I frequently visit Vegas. And there's a 17 - 20 mile climb on the way that has claimed many vehicles, especially during the summer months (triple digits). I have experimented with the A/C. Result: car performs much better when A/C is on. Battery SOC maintains its 40 percent minimum and engine does not go into panic mode. Car has 271k, and it's still on the original HV battery. To OP, crank that A/C. Don't worry about saving a few MPGs.

energyandair and Silver bullit like this.
  14. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanx a lot guys for the replies, will definitely have a.c. on.

There are days though when its parked in the sun so can't leave a.c. on I suppose, just crack windows, sunshade on windshield.

I tried to lock the car with it on and a.c. running like I did on the Volt I had but the Prius won't let me lock the door with the remote and car on.

Are there any reports of issues with the battery in hot climates like I've Googled and read about the Leaf and it's battery issues?

Nothing came up on Google about Prius and hot climates/battery degradation.

15. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So other question: where's the fan located for the battery and does it run when the cars ac is on and when the battery is at a higher temperature?

16. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's a Taxi in Cairns ,Qld, Aus. (Tropical) that's had it's original HV battery for 600,000kms.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't beat the gen II batteries.(y)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The fan's the white cylindrical at right side of battery in this pic. The black tube piece sitting on the flipped-down seatback connects between the fan and the back seat vent grill.

5d_057-107.jpg

19. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Thanks for that great pic, nice to get an idea where the fan was.

20. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Really? I take it they were a different chemistry than the Gen lll?