1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How about 60 LED DRL and Turn Signal in one bulb!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by KK6PD, Aug 22, 2010.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the cost of the socket x2 is $7.00, the Toyota socket, x2 is $20. The Warranty, NONE, this is a MOD it, its up to you to maintain it. Toyota's take on it, It should not be a problem, but again you did the MOD you accept the consequences. The time spent machining the sockets to fit 3 hours, I would have to charge at least $60.00 a set to make it time, cost worthy.
    However that being said, I would be open to taking custom orders, and supplying a guaranteed adapter unit for $65.00 & $5 shipping. Anybody intrested PM me, we'll see!

It's only soldering, and 5 minute Epoxy, it sure s would make it easier if there was a socket for a 7443 bulb that is an EXACT fit tor the 7440 Prius socket!!! That would make life really easy!!!
    Much cheaper too!!

2. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does your price include the bulbs and relay?

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the relay is $7.99, and the bulbs are ...

2 AW Switchbacks, for front...$50.00
    2 60 led for rear turn.............$60.00
    2 60 led for back up..............$60.00
    All the other leds I have installed...approx $100

so no, ya gotta buy the bulbs yerself.

If I put a COMPLETE kit together, it would run about $350 just for parts or so....Good LEDS ain't cheap!!!

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm doing this mod for my 2010 Prius too except I'm doing the rears also. I'm gonna activate the rear whites with the reverse lights. This way I'll have 4 high power LEDs for reverse. Hopefully this will equate to having headlight brightness for reverse.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that's another Mod to the Mod!!
    Great idea!!
    Lets see a pic when you get it going!!!

6. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's going to be a while bacause I just ordered all the LEDs I couldn't bring myself to buy the 120LED 7440 LED bulbs from autolumination for $70 a pair. It looks like they use the smaller 1210 LED. I found a 30 LED 7440 that uses more powerful 5050 LEDs. I also found a 7440 bulb that uses 11 1watt LEDs. I think this will be the brighest and most powerful 7440 bulb yet. I bought those instead. Will report back how bright they are.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice job well done!
    Respeckt!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I added the flasher unit they sell to flicker flash the reverse backup. Kinda makes the backup camera go wild at night but only for 2-3 seconds. I'm thinking of making my backup flasher activate the licence plate LED instead.

9. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got a chance to test out the switchback LEDs and reverse LED lights. I am sort of disappointed. The 2 high power LEDs together are slightly dimmer than a single OEM incandescent. I thought it would be brighter than the incandescent. The OEM bulbs shine with line shadows on the ground due to the reflectors. The LEDs do not have this problem. The pictures I took show that the LED is slightly brighter but it's really not. It also shows bluer than it really is. The OEM bulb seems to aim a little lower toward the ground giving the illusion of being brighter where as the LEDs somehow illuminates farther giving the illusion of being dimmer. Also the switchback bulb only fits the driver side turn signal hole but not the passenger side turn signal hole. I have to file it a little which I dont want to due to the shavings fall inside the reflectors. I'll post the pics later when I have time.

10. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    hummm looks like your reverse bulbs are incandescants...BTW I replaced the left reverse bulb on my Mazda 3 with a real HID kit...bright!!! :eek:

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes in that shot they were, now they are LED's.
    When I took the shot the White LED's had not come in yet...
    I'll add a new pic to this post to show ALL LED's!!

[​IMG]

Left lamp is an Incandescent bulb, the right side is the 60 LED White!
    MUCH BETTER COLOR TEMP!!!!

and tomorrows update photo, ALL LEDS lit!!!

Ya'll hold yer breath now, hear?

12. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sure he replaced them with LEDs by now.

13. krg03

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    omg

14. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your mod is brilliant!

Sorry to pick at this particular line in your post though. I want to verify that all four lights flash upon locking and unlocking of the car. Right now I am using another relay (yes, also a 1:1 fit) but it only flashes the driver side lights upon lock/unlock. Even then it is not all the time the duration ranges from a split-second to a half-second.

Basically it's not reliable. I would happily buy another relay -- the one you've posted -- if it means I can get all four lights back, reliably.

As a side note, now that you've completely converted to LEDs have you noticed that your corner lights (and glove compartment light) are lit on their own when you approach your vehicle or have not locked it. For me it seems to coincide with when the interior courtesy lights (the ones for the fob slot and power button) are on. It goes away when I start the car or after I power off the car and lock the doors. I'm thinking there isn't enough resistance in that circuit now...not sure though.
    Or I could be completely wrong and that it's only happening on my car with my particular bulbs.

Sorry for the long post -- it somehow grew a lot.

PS. My reverse LEDs are wonderful at night but next to impossible to see during the day. Any advice? (320 lumens, 6K)
    I ended up buying a 1400 lumen license plate frame light which is SPECTACULAR and solved my issue but I can't help but feel silly about the wimpy (in comparison) reverse lights.

15. krg03

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the flash strobe module on the backup led. It's an attention getter if thats what you are looking for. At night it kindof makes the reverse cam wacky but it's momentary then on solid. I was thinking of changing it to the licence plate light, normally on except in reverse it would strobe.

What did you put in for your backup light led? smt how many?

16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I try to surprise myself sometimes.....it works!!!:eek:

Yes they all flash once.

No, when the car is OFF, there are NO lamps that contunue to emit light. My Scanguage however, tends to stay lit for a amount of time that must correlate with planetary alignment or something... it has a mind of it's own, plus a rather large Capacitor that tends to hold a charge for a while. It will at some point finally turn off!
    I do have the SKS option, and the interior lights do light up on approach...I am using 36 LED arrays for the dome lamps...it's really bright...if I walk within 6-7 ft of the car, they just pop on... no matter if I am going into the car, or just walking by!!!

That's OK by me, if you don't ask, you wont get an answer!!:D

You could try the 60 LED array that I used, of course I really don't use the reverse lights during the day, that damn sun keeps over illuminating everything on the sun side of the planet!!!:eek:

17. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I guess I'll pick up the relay you used.

I used this: 2 WHITE 6K V-LEDS 7W HIGH POWER 20 LED BACK-UP LIGHT BULBS 7440 7443
    Although it was nowhere that cheap when I purchased them.

It's got 20 half-watt SMTs -- 14 radial and 6 forward facing. Funnily enough it's only rated at 7W.

18. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    those LEDs are 3528s They are only 1/3 brightness and power consumption of the 5050s. According to Who Cares, 3528 LED Or 5050 LED Diode? 3528SMD is .06W and 5050SMD is .18W The bulb you got is about 1.2W and the 30 5050 LED bulb is about 5.4W The brightest LED I've found so far for 7443 bulb is 30 5050SMD LED. They are brighter than the 60LED switchbacks used in this mod.
    [​IMG]

19. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info!
    Just curious, how were you able to determine the wattage of the diodes from the v-leds webpage? They didn't provide very much information...

I think I'll give those a shot. Do you have a recommended seller? All the ones I've found on google only offer 18 or 24 diodes, not 30. :$$:
    Plus none of them mention the color temperature.

Thanks again for your insight. Those lying liars!

20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four