1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you change the headlamp in an '02 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kirbinster, Dec 1, 2012.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Could not find anywhere logical to post this, so here goes. I want to replace a headlight bulb in my '02 Prius but cannot figure out how to do it. There is no room to reach in behind the assembly, so I assume it must come out. Took out the two big screws but it does not want to seem to come out. Is there a trick?

Thanks

2. Margie

Margie New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try YouTube for Lucious Garage in SF Calif.

3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not that easy to remove the entire Gen1 headlight...they are integrated with the front bumper mounts. Which side bulb are you trying to replace?

4. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Very easy to do.

If doing it on the drivers side:
    Look at your washer fluid fill tube, follow to where it is attached to the car(about an inch or two towards the front of the car), there are two little tabs sticking up, squeeze them and pull up, it should remove that. once that is done, you will have access to the bulb by removing the pesky black rubber grommet on the back of the headlight.

If on passenger side:
    retrieve a small flat screwdriver: look at your white coolant tank("L" shape) take the coolant cap with hoses attached and remove it and set that to the side, gently pull straight up on the coolant tank, it should come straight up and out, set that to the side. now there will be a black oval thing there, thats for the intake. follow that to where its mounted on the car(right behind the headlight) there is a round push type fastener, get your screwdriver and pry that fastener out of there, once that is out, pull straight up on the oval thing, it should come out. you now have access to the bulb after removing the pesky black grommet. on the back of the headlight.

Hope this helps

5. garywhite

garywhite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just replaced my headlights following these instructions on my 2001 Prius. These instructions perfectly described the process and made things super easy.

6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Your welcome. thank god we dont have to remove our bumpers to get those bulbs out, i would not be too happy.

7. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Thanks. I those instructions are perfect!!!

8. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Your welcome