1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you open the hatch from inside?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by zenMachine, Nov 9, 2011.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I cannot speak for the v, but Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius have a jump point under the hood in the front, so you can power the car with that to open the hatch. No need to crawl in the back at all.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47674U/pdf/sec_05-02.pdf Page 38 Page 479 of the paper manual

2. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Jimbo, you're missing the spirit of how we do things around here. We don't want simple answers like that - we prefer to debate and gripe and stuff.

3. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sometimes you can't get to the jump point in the front. Like when the car is parked head first in a garage and you can't put it in neutral to move it.
    In that situation you have to have an extra long jumper cable handy.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From the inside, yes. From the outside there is already an easy opening mechanism.

Tom

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And how is this different from any normal car?

Tom

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]Problem solved. This tool will also allow you to remove your seat without using the buckle.:D

8. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Exactly! I ran into this one time. Left the car on (God Knows how long) battery needed a jump. Could not get to the front and could not get the hatch open.

Had to crawl in back with jumper and lower seats and remove everything to jump. REAL PAIN. :eek:

9. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jimbo Palmer, your link was a great one for me. You brought up something I'd like to ask if you have a link to. I searched but didn't find it. I found how to program the reverse beep off and the passenger seat belt beep off (My laptop case sometimes rides there.) but I can't find the unlock all doors and this drives me NUTS.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  11. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Worked like a charm...

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In many cars you don't need 12V power to open the trunk or rear hatch.

14. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Odyssey has a nice feature that helps in this situation, and I have used it. When nosed into our garage, the hood is under a shelf, so the hood can't be raised unless the car is rolled back, but you can't put it in Neutral with a dead battery. There is a tiny plastic cover on top of the steering column that you pop off, insert the mechanical key, and presto, it can be shifted from Park to Neutral, rolled back, hood opened, and jumped.

15. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odyssey has a mechanical shifter. Gen2/3 Prius have an electronic shifter...no easy way to get car into neutral without power. (Gen1 Prius with mechanical shifter DOES have a tiny plastic cover under steering column, remove plastic, press finger in hole and you can move shifter).

Best solution with Gen2/3 is to park where you can open the hood. The smallest jumper pack will provide enough power to open the hatch and "start" the car using the under hood jump point. If you have to do it more than once you need a new 12V battery or you are leaving lights on etc.

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, but the comment relates to jump starting. Opening the trunk or hatch isn't very useful when jump-starting a normal car. Almost all conventional cars have the battery under the hood. You still need long jump cables.

Tom

17. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO a small jumper pack is more useful than long jumper cables...you don't need another car to assist you....and as long as you can open the hood you can jump yourself.

One nice feature of the Prius is that the 12V battery doesn't crank the engine, which means THE SMALLEST jumper pack you can buy will easily start the car, since you are essentially just starting the computers (the big battery "cranks" the gas engine).

You could probably jump start a Prius with 8 Energizer D cells, or two 6V lantern batteries, although I have not tried it...

1 person likes this.
  18. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I do realize that there exist many workarounds for the Dead 12V issue. I have had to use some of them before, not with just my vehicle but a friend's as well.

But I would have preferred that Prius v Product Management took this into account and did something about it since this was a new design concept. Looks like drivers will still have to work around this problem for another Prius generation. Ah well...

I would have been so happy had they just added a manual unlock utilizing the same mechanical key currently used for the driver's door.

19. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another point/question/issue: I just had my battery die at the airport parking lot. Unfortunately, I did not have jumper cables with me. But - if I'd put them under the parcel shelf in the back (where I'd likley want to put them, they still would have done me little good, as they'd be nearly impossible to reach. And, if the 12v is dead, and the front is not easily accessible, then it's nearly impossible to deal with... (or, am I missing something??)

20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have the least expensive and smallest Harbor Freight (or Walmart) jumper cables under the back seat accessible through the side door. I also have a marked up copy of the instructions on how to jump. I do have a jumper pack but I don't carry it around. Most airport security people have one but may not know how to use it on a Prius (which is in the Manual). You will have this happen a time or two.