1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you open the hatch from inside?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by zenMachine, Nov 9, 2011.

1. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I go in through the back seat. Remove the tray under the mat to get at battery. That is when it's in my garage parked head first.

2. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's probably something to be said for one of those really small jump packs - or 2 6-Volt lantern batteries in serial.

Has anyone tried 2 6Volt lantern Batteries in parallel? How long will they last?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think if you bought 2 new lantern batteries and a 14 gauge cable set like this along with a jumper to connect the batteries you might be good. However the real question is if those lantern batteries would really work. While the computers don't draw much current, your dead 12v battery will load a jump source significantly, sometimes requiring several minutes before the system voltage is high enough to work. Anyone with experience out there using lantern batteries?

4. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i think i would be a no brainer to have a manual unlock on the back gate, if you are using the car to camp in, in an accident running off the road into the woods, ect, or the unlikely event that you end up in the water, sinking nose first FAST ! i want every available exit in my favor.

Doktor Calamari likes this.
  5. Nickod

Nickod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my 2013 it's easy as pie. You tie a cord through the little lever, and run the cord up between the tray and the hatch sill. Pull on the cord, the hatch opens. I put a toggle on mine so as not to hurt my lilywhite hands (actually so I can find it in the dark, I sleep back there instead of in iffy motels).

CR94 and Garandman like this.
  6. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Still need 12V for this to function. The majority of rear hatch nags are due to a flat aux battery.

8. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    yeah, i came up with something for when I'm far away from home. just, involves a Ryobi battery, this custom pcb board, and being able to plug up the Ryobi battery under the hood. I need to let the main 12v battery drain and test it, in theory since I always have a Ryobi battery with me charged, the 18v battery through the PCB board will be enough to open the hatch and/or jump start.

other thought ive been on is having a 9v battery plug tucked in and under the rear bumper and if needed, plug in and its only wired into the hatch switch line to trigger the release. No matter the method, either crawl in or under and get your hands dirty or your body squeezed into the back is inevitable.