1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you USE Voice Tags

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spatton, Jul 7, 2010.

1. spatton

spatton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got a week-old 2010 III with nav. I've seen lots of chat about setting up voice tags, and have been successful doing so myself (in spite of NO mention in the manual). But what's the point?? I've discovered I can use voice commands to call ANY of the contacts I transferred from my cell (pretty cool), so I figured Tags were some sort of voice activated speed dial that would avoid the five or six step process otherwise required. But I've been unable to find any procedure that will actually make use of the tags I've recorded. What am I missing? (I do have several contacts set up in the on-screen speed dial system, but again, can find no association with that system and the Tag deal.) So again, my question: Once tags are recorded and in the "system," how do you actually USE them?

2. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I am with you not sure how Tags add value beyond what basic voice rec already does.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just as clueless as the rest of you guys. I have no idea what Voice Tags are used for up and over the normal voice recognition tags.

4. spatton

spatton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm feeling better now that I know I'm not alone. My suspicion is that the new '10 model has an improved overall voice recognition system and they haven't bothered to "undo" the references to the old one. Just sayin'

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a strong possibility... old cellphones required that you enter a voice tag for each contact in your address book before the voice recognition feature will work. Newer (and current ones) will recognise your contacts name entry without voice tag.

6. tekmaven

tekmaven Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just got my Prius today, and I could be wrong, but I set up a tag. When I did the "dial by name" voice command, and spoke the tag, it repeated the tag for me and found that person. I spoke only the person's first name in the tag, instead of their full name.

Basically, I think it's to aid the computer in figuring out who you are saying, if you are having trouble with the contact or want to call that person by a different name then is on the contact.

2 people like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet another good point! Perhaps it helps if the person has a hard to pronounce (for an anglophone) ethnic name.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or if you speak Southern English with a drawl that the Nav Lady has trouble understanding :p

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol

10. pacpolin

pacpolin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Not sure if that is what it is for, as I have not set up any voice tags, yet I can still bring up a contact by only using a first name. If more than one contact has the same first name, it will normally bring up a list to choose from, but not necessarily all of the contacts with the same first name.