1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does one recycle used synthetic motor oil?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by prius04, Aug 7, 2005.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

I usually do my own oil changes and bring my oil to the town transfer facility. It's Sunday so I can't call them but I need to change my oil.

Can I mix the synthetic oil in the same container that has some dinosaur oil?

Or do these products require a separate recycling systems?

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Synthetic oil is recyclable just as fossil (actually plant- and bacteria-derived) oil. I take mine to the nearest auto parts dealer who accepts used oil. I fill out the form, list the make and quantity in Liters and the dealer accepts (Mobil 1) without question. The only concern is that used oil not be mixed with antifreeze or other fluids.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

used motor oil isn't re-refined into motor oil it's refined down to a heavy grease

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and then what?

5. jchu

jchu New Member

Actually, according to one source that I was able to Google about 14% of used motor oil is re-refined for reuse. Kings County in Washington uses re- refined oil in their vehicles, as do a few other countys in the US. And a local auto parts store sold it for a time as well. Used it in one of our older vehicles without any issues. Problem apparently is that, because there is such a low demand, the cost is expensive enough that it can cost more than the virgin product. Sigh...

6. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a good link on how used oil is re-used. Click Here

7. Frank Hudon

one of the largest users of "used oil" grease is the railroads. It's used to lube the axles and piviots and such on train cars.

8. Frank Hudon

we (at work) recycle about 300 gallons of used oil, engine and hydraulic, a month some times more but seldom less and the company that picks it up also recycles oil filters and used antifreeze. The oil filters are squashed and the oil captured and recycled and then the filters are shredded and sent for remelting. The antifreeze is filtered and the additives are replenished and it's resold. The oil is re-refined into grease. Some of the oil is used to power their refinery.

9. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Slightly off-thread, but I read in a transportation journal that more than one large trucking companies reuse allof their diesel drain oil by adding it, untreated, to their trucks' fuel tanks. I forget the proportion that they were successful in mixing, though at the time I was sorely tempted to use one qt. per tankful in my Mercedes 300D (just over 1%). But I worried that the fine carbon dust, that blackens crankcase oil within an hour of operation after oil and filter change, would settle in injectors and the close-tolerance pump.

10. Frank Hudon

I know lots add a quart of motor oil to the fuel tank every week or so, but like you I'd want to filter out some of the particulate matter before trying to squirt it thru the injectors. How long do you think the fuel filter would take to plug up?

11. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe that the article to which I referred addressed filtering, perhaps only indirectly, in that total cost analysis included, as I recall, about a year of fleet data. I remember that I toyed with the idea of building a centrifugal separator, :roll: like Honda's oil filter in my CL350 bike, but bigger.

12. Frank Hudon

another question, what do you do with the sludge that comes out of the separator? I think that oil re-refining industry sells the carbon/lamp black to the tire industry.

13. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since no laundry is able to get the drain-oil-black out of my clothes, it should be valuable as a non-fading fabric dye.

14. Frank Hudon

Ha ha ha! too funny.