1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Does The "Anti-Theft" System Work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boulder_bum, Mar 16, 2007.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No doubt that there is a way to reassign keys if the owner looses all of the keys. I still would not say that this is a end all defeat of the security system. The cash outlay and the hoops one must jump through to get it done is more than enough to keep the car secure.

Back on track: All SKS equipped (maybe all 2nd gen Priuses) have a factory alarm system. It has to be activated by the dealer. There are many threads here on what exactly has to be done to get it activated.

2. sta bene

sta bene Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Trunk Monkey is absolutely wonderful. I couldn't stop laughing. I had to call my wife in to see it. Thanks.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    package 3's are already activated

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    your welcome

the smart door feature is a good troubleshooting step in diagnosing problems with the smart key system as described in this thread
    http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/52165-2006-smart-key-problem.html

you are not allowed to lock any doors with a spare in the car as long as you press your black button. if you press the lock button on your keyfob your giving your car permission to lock the doors regardless of if there is a spare key inside.

also with the current trends on the car insurance industry, be prepared to have your claim NOT honored by your insurance company if you car does actually get stolen (improbable but not impossible) and you have all your keys accounted for.

my favorite pastime is reading all these posts about how people are so smug about thier car's immoblizer and most of them argue back and forth about the prius alarm system, and it so happens that most of them already have it (package 3 or higher)

and those who have package 1 or 2s most likely can get thier system activated free of charge.

as far as i am concerned after actually doing the research, i feel that the "only way to steal a prius is to use a flat bed" is a total myth, an urban legend, there at least 5 verified ways of stealing a prius, and only 2 of them involve the scantool.

i wonder if the electronics that are likley to get stolen in a smash and grab, like the dvd player or the easily removable mfd are etched with the car's vin number.... i wonder how people who buy these commonly found items on ebay are protected against buying stolen parts

5. DRK

DRK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you talking about the smart key or is this a seperate key designed for the immobilizer feature?

6. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the same "key" / FOB. Without Smart Key, you need to insert the FOB into a slot in the dash. (I'm not exactly sure of where it goes since I have a Camry Hybrid.)

7. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Remember, as car security gets better.. the theives start to target the house to get the keys!
    Also there was a bloke in Japan who had a finger print reader to start his luxury car.. the theives broke into his home.. off with his finger and away with his car.

Here is a news article on another similar theft .. ouch! Carjackers swipe biometric Merc, plus owner's finger | The Register