1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does the tire warranty work on OE tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Skoorbmax, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    24k on our car, bought in Mar/10. The Yokohama Avid S33 tires, with a pitiful treadlife rating of 320, are almost down to wear indicators both front and back. They'd probably still pass inspection, but barely.

I've never in my life claimed warranty work on any tire because it seems crazy to warrant something that is so clearly a wear item. Will Toyota cover anything here?

I assume this: Yokohama AVID S33D means I have no coverage.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, OEM's are pretty much a write-off. Typically I think, only tire defects are covered, and that is by the tire manufacturer, not Toyota. From page 29 of the US Warranty and Maintenance Guide:

I'd recommend Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 as a cheap LRR with decent tread life, they are Toyota's OEM choice in some regions, come in 195/65R15. Actually that might be the only size they come in. One downside, they are terrible in snow once you wear off about half the tread.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do need decent snow as we don't have winter-specific tires... :)

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You should have received a tire warranty document from the tire manufacturer when you took delivery of the car--see what it says.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went with Michelin X-Ice, in 195/65R15 (even though our stock tire is 17"), on steel Corolla rims. When new the X-Ice had a fine corrugation on the face of tread, and it barely wore off in 5000km use last winter. In short, they look to be long lasting.

They ran very quiet and the car felt planted, no bare pavement slippage (we barely had any snow, LOL). Mileage on par with our wider, low profile OEM, fwiw.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your safety is more important than a small increase in fuel economy. The LRR specific tires are lacking in handling and traction compared to many grand touring and higher performance tires. Due to market trends, most of the "conventional" grand touring and performance tires have some kind of fuel saving technology in them, but obviously not as aggressive as the LRR tires.

I would get a set of the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. They are $116/each on Tire Rack, and there's even a $70 mail-in rebate on them right now. I've driven a few cars with them, and they are quiet, last a long time (60k warranty) and handle great for an all-season.