1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How is brake fluid level detected?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Feb 28, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I only get a brake warning light when it is below 40F and I take a turn. It then goes off by itself. I suspect the brake fluid level sensor may be going off. But when I looked, I didn't see a 'float' sensor.

So today the cold soaked car showed midway between Max-Min. Ok, top it off and drove to parts store only find it was just over Min.

Lesson learned, check AFTER driving.

Bob Wilson

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just over Min might be ok. There's really only one right time to check:

With the ignition OFF, sit in the car and stomp the brake pedal roughly 40 times. It probably won't be exactly 40, but you won't miss the way the last stomp really feels like a rock. At that point, you have cycled all the stored fluid out of the accumulator and back into the reservoir. That's when you should check the reservoir and, if it isn't right at Max, top it up.

As soon as you turn the ignition ON, the pump will run and some of that fluid will be packed into the accumulator. The reservoir won't be at Max any more, which is perfectly fine, as long as it's over Min.

If you make the mistake of topping off fluid while a bunch of it is 'hidden' in the accumulator, you've got a wet mess waiting to happen if the fluid in the accumulator gets cycled back later.

As far as I know, the level sensing does use a simple float in the reservoir somewhere. My reservoir has some interesting baffles right under the fill plug, so it might not be easy to see where the float is.

-Chap