1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long can I leave my Prius c without it being started or driven?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Kirkuleez, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going on vacation in May and am curious how long the C can sit if it's not started or driven? I have read that it can drain or possibly damage the battery from sitting to long, so just how long is o.k.? It seems like a pain to have to find someone to start up or drive the car while on vacation. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have two batteries: the 144V high voltage one, and the 12V auxiliary one. It is the 12V that is susceptible to failure. At this stage, you can comfortably leave it for two weeks. Longer than that, you need to look into a charge maintainer, like Battery Minder, Battery Tender, etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfect!! I very much appreciate the info, thank you!

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am just curious as to why the 12V is susceptible to failure from sitting and is that the case for all cars?

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 12V battery is small in capacity compared to a standard car.

The quiescent current draw is high, especially in 2004-2009 Prius. Toyota has done better recently with the newest models but having the 12V in the passenger compartment (under the rear seat?) means that it had to be fitted with a small 12V AGM battery. The charging current is also very small, such that a vehicle that is seldom driven will have its 12V die, because unlike cars with an alternator that pumps out 50 amps when first started, the DC converter will only charge it with 3.5 amps.

Toyota recommends disconnecting the 12V negative if the car is being stored for 30 days. I think that is overly optimistic, to expect the 12V to last that long.

I should mention, the HV battery can go months and not be harmed. Toyota recommends starting the car every 60 days, which is conservative.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you once again, this is very informative info and I appreciate it.

7. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 prius will charge its fully discharged 12 battery at overr 40 amps...
    This is seen watching scanguage hv current go to 4.5 amps. 3.6 amps over normal prius hv current of .9 amps..
    3.6 amps at 230 volts (approx hv fully charged voltage) = 828 watt of dc converter power all due to discharged 12 batterry...
    Factor in a 70 % effecency factor for dc to dc comverter this leaves 579 watts of charge to 12 volt battery.

579 watts divided by 14 volts = 41.4 amps.
    The dc/dc converter is rated at 90-100 amps fused by 100-125 amp fuse.

You stated prius only charges at 3.5 amp rate is incorrect.
    While a fully charged battery will trickle at about 3.5 amps a dead will pull over 50 amps.
    While toyota recommends the 12 volt battey be bench charged at 3.5 amp rate...
    The gen II will charge a fully discharged battery in about 90 minutes with initial charge at 41amps quickly falls to 30 amps after 5 minutes and 25 amps after 10 minutes the charge current diminishes to around 10 amps after the first hour..and becomes fully charged at approx 1.5 hours...

I would think all prius models have similar dc/dc converter ratings as the gen II..

9. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Also you can shut of the Smart Key System while you are away to reduce its parasitic load.