1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how long can prius sit on dealers lot?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bisco, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have been considering a genIII purchase for awhile now. i was wondering if there is any negative effect to having a prius sit on the dealers lot for a long time vs one that came in recently. would the traction battery suffer in the long run? am i better off to wait for a 2011 even though it will cost more? does it depend on the dealer keeping it charged up and how would i know if they had?

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased my III on 31 July, the build date is Feb 2010, I have seen no ill effects and it has run great since the day I brought it home...

1 person likes this.
  3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't worry. You can worry anout anything if you want.

maybe to cut cost they will use cheaper parts on the 2011 prius
    I could make up many things to worry about. Just buy one if thats what you want to do.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just ask them. Dealers are scrupulously honest and will always tell you the truth. :madgrin: :flypig:

5. Robertzerosmog

Robertzerosmog New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm amazed that there are that many unsold cars on the lot. Around where I live, cars turn over pretty regularly so they don't sit long enough to worry. At least, that's what it looks like when I drive by the local deal on my way to work or when I stop by. Even though I have one, I still like looking at the newer ones.

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's just because they shuffle them around every night after the dealership closes to make it look like they always have new stock! :D

7. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My oft-repeated question on this forum is slightly different: "With the 2011s on the way, how long can dealers let their 2010s sit on the lot?"

According to cars.com, there are upwards of 18,000 2010s currently on dealers' lots. We may see even greater incentives being offered after the current ones expire next week, on Oct. 4th.

Likewise, if the 2010s aren't selling that well and there are virtually no changes in the 2011s, I would expect:
    1. The 2011s to also be discounted, and
    2. Toyota to cut back on production.

All this while we're getting reports of 150 new hybrids being introduced in the next few years.

Note. Exceptionally slow sales are not peculiar to Priius... all new car sales are down. e.g., cars.com is showing 36K 2010 Camrys and virtually the same number of 2010 Accords currently in stock.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AFAIK most dealerships will start all their cars every once in a while. On a winter day sometimes when you drive by a lot you'll see exhaust on a whole line of cars.

9. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Perhaps. . . but I think they start them to see if everything is working. Did you ever notice the wiper blades up on some cars in the new dealers lots? This is an indicator that the car may need pre service and etc.
    It is good that they start all the cars. This may save some red faces while with new customers.
    :)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been looking at the same cars for a few months now. some dealers have 30-40 in inventory around boston. they are now offering over $3,000. off msrp of $24,750.

1 person likes this.
  11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The only negative affect of sitting in the dealer's lot is that the little 12v battery can get discharged which weakens it. The dealer is supposed to maintain the charge on the battery periodically but they have been known to fail in that responsibility.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, you think that if the traction battery sat discharged for a few months, no longterm ramifications?

13. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info... dead battery or not, it's time for me to quit talking about it, put up some $, and start driving a Prius! :car:

14. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Won't happen. The traction battery is totally disconnected from the system when the Prius is off. Also remember that even if it was down to one bar showing when turned off it still has a 40% charge. As designed the traction battery is extremely well protected by the system.

15. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know whether that's a model II or III, but the number I saw was just under $22,000 (I think it was $21,988) for a model II. But it was one of those, "only 1 at this price" advertisements. But maybe we'll start seeing "only 10 at the price" soon. I don't see the price droping much. I think they'll bring in the 0% financing for 3 years, again, before you see much of a price reduction.

And what's with the China/Japan dispute over some fishing boat captain, delaying delivery of necessary goods for the Prius from China? Maybe that's the excuse being used to keep prices up.

Dumb Mike

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a III with no options. floor mats maybe. a II starts atround a thousand less, so if there are no major options, you're getting almost two grand off. you might be right, maybe i should grab one while the price is right!:)

17. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the dealer lot is near a railroad track and the car has sat for a long time....check for rail dust marks in the clear coat...especially on the white. These appear a small reddish dot like stains. They are impossible to get out.

1 person likes this.
  18. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    1 person likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    intereting that it mentions both batteries in the prius.

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Although gas increased 8c/gal today I don't see car prices increasing for the 2010s sitting on the lot. Maybe the 2011 will start closer to MSRP but it'll end up under invoice when they don't move. The only way I see a significant increase in selling prices would be if the government pays people to buy cars (again).