1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Long Can The Prius Sit Without Being Run?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sid, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Sid

Sid New Member

How long can the Prius sit without being turned on without any adverse affect on the Hybrid battery, or starting up again?
    Is one week OK?
    Should I still deacivate the Smart Key sensor?

TIA :?

2. helmkera

helmkera Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am a new Prius owner (less than 2 weeks) and took delivery of my new baby just three days before leaving (via airplane) for a 10 day vacation. The Prius was fine when I returned. Perhaps not a technical answer - just practical experience.

3. Sid

Sid New Member

Thanks for the info helmkera, that's one less thing to worry about when that time comes.

4. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My personal experience is < 3days if you have a 7 year old son who leaves on the rear dome light and nobody notices.

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sid\";p=\"105454)</div>
    Most people seem to feel that if you're going to leave the car for more than a week or two, you should disable the smart key sensor to reduce the current drain on the small 12v battery.

Other than that, if you're planning a longer-term, the car should be started for a few minutes every couple of months to preserve the high-voltage battery.

Dave

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

Actually, the answer to this is in the manual. I'm pretty sure the "cut off" is 3 weeks, but there was a Priuschat post many many months ago where a guy went 5 weeks with zero problems. But whether this 5 weeks would affect the long term viability of the battery is, of course, unknown.

And there is a way to shut off the SKS, and this should help some. There is a small button under the dash near the base of the steering wheel stalk and dash. This will shut off the SKS and save some electricity. This is also described in the manual.

But I would not be inclined to go above 4 weeks without someone starting the car for a few minutes. I love the car too much.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    make sure everything's off. SKS, headlights, all switches turned to OFF position (vanity, trunk, dome). I guess, anything that could trickle the battery. Also keep the fob away from the car

8. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

I have gone two weeks on several occasions without any problems. Also, left a door slightly ajar for a week and had to jump start it....again no problems.