1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long does it take to do an oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ny biker, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I just brought my car in to the dealer for its first oil change. I asked for the Express Lube service, which should include: change oil and filter, check and fill all fluid levels, 19 point inspection, put air in tires, drive it through the car wash. Guaranteed 59 minutes or less. Since it was the first oil change for the car and I bought it at that dealership, it was free.

But -- they finished in less than half an hour, so now I'm wondering if it's possible to do all that work in such a short amount of time. Does this seem realistic?

Thanks

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they had a 29 minute guarantee at the express lube here. they've got a pit, it makes things much faster.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, very easy esp. with 2 people working on it at a time. Maybe 5 minutes to drain the oil, change the filter simultaneously, 2-3 minutes to put in the new oil, 10 minutes for the other crap, 5 minutes for paperwork.
    Go watch at a Jiffy Lube sometime....it's run like a machine.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It takes me about 1/2 hour start to finish, including cleanup, and dumping the oil into recycle bottle. Oil change is really no big deal. The only problem is the lack of ground clearance, which makes the filter hard to see on replacement. If the Pros have a lift, it should go really fast. Its just not worth my time to make the appointment, sit around, and worry what else they mess up. I'd rather do it myself.

rayluo likes this.
  5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Cool, thanks.

I guess I just got lucky and there were no cars to be worked on ahead of mine.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The "Express Lube" at the dealer did my oil change and tire rotation in about 10 min - but I think they didn't let all the oil drain out because it was overfilled.

When I changed it, I let it drain for at least 30 min and still had some drips coming out. (Yes, somewhat retentive - I'm an engineer :p )

Meg&Bear likes this.
  7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I worked at a workshop where we worked as a team where 2 guys could service and tune a car in 45 minutes and that was on a dyno and in the old days when cars had points. This included brake inspection and all the usual stuff. We didn't wash the car though.

Meg&Bear likes this.