1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long does the battery in key fob last (on average) for 2008?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by howardbc, Oct 16, 2012.

1. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. I have a 2008 Prius with the Touring Package. It has 31k miles on it and I've had it 4.5+ years. (I'm retired.) I never actually ever use the key. I just leave it in my pocketbook 24/7 and run the car without it in the ignition slot. Also I don't use it to lock or unlock the doors. I just push the door handle button.
    Question: Can anyone tell me what the average life span of the battery might be? Also, is there any kind of warning when the battery is getting low? Yes, I read the Owner's Manual about the key fob but it didn't address any of my questions.
    Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4 years is probably a good average. some go longer, some go much shorter. as it wears down, you will slowly find things not working. handle touch doesn't work but push button on fob does, etc. there is no telling how it will manifest itself, each case is a little different.

3. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you, Bisco! I better change it today!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably a good idea. cheap peace of mind maintenance. and the sooner you change it, the less gummed up the fob is and the easier it comes apart. all the best!

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at the fob while you push a button. There's a little red LED that lights up. That gets dim when battery starts going. Notice between now and and the new battery.