1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How much of a discount do you expect on a 2012 Prius vs 2013 Prius right now?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by beethovengirl, Jan 31, 2013.

1. beethovengirl

beethovengirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can get a 2012 Prius Three with solar roof for $24,809 + TTL, or a 2013 Prius Three with solar roof for $25,944 + TTL. I'm inclined to get the 2012, since I plan to keep my car for awhile.

What do you think?

2. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think it's a pretty good deal. I bought a Prius v (model five) last November for $29,700 (sticker price: $31,495). From what I've read, the 2012 models haven't had any media criticisms about safety functions as was recently noticed for the 2013 models. Seems like the 2013 Prius v couldn't quite hack it on the NEW, more restrictive, safety test. I say NEW, because the 2013 Prius v was built to easily pass the older test which was replaced just recently. You should enjoy your model three more than I'm enjoying my model five because your RIDE will be more comfortable than mine. The Prius v (model five) comes with 17" rims and Toyo tires. A rough combination in MY opinion. I test-drove a model three and it was a great ride. Didn't test drive my purchase as I assumed it would be the same. Bad judgment there.

Jack

3. beethovengirl

beethovengirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the 2012 Prius has 0% APR financing available. We can pay with cash, but if we can get 0% APR financing, I figure we may as well. Are there any hidden fees with this option? like the title transfer after paying off the loan?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd go for the '13 if i could afford it. doesn't seem like that great a deal for a car that's been sitting on the lot for awhile.

5. beethovengirl

beethovengirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume this is a dumb question...but can you please explain what's wrong with a car that's been sitting on the lot for awhile? thanks :)

6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    if the 0% is available only for the '12, i'd say go for the '12
    cars that have been sitting on the lot for a long time are likely to have dead/busted 12 V batteries and could potentially have some weather damage from being outside without cover for too long. also, if this is in a warm/hot region, the car could have spent all summer under scorching temperatures and open skies, which is very bad for the traction battery.

so, i will revise my advice: ask the dealer to show you when the car arrived on the lot. if there have been many hot days since it was delivered, pass on it. if there haven't, force them to replace the 12 V battery, take another $1k off the price, and bring it home.