1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often does the computer calculate Fuel Consumption (CON) reading on the display?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by toyolover, Jun 7, 2010.

1. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Does any one know how often the computer update its fuel consumption (ie. CON) on the display? It certainly is not a Real Time consumption because when I rev the engine, the consumption reading doesn't go up.

2. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure, but a guess would be about every minute or so because of the one minute consumption graph. However even the one minute update seems to take a bit longer then a minute ;).

Also it would depend on the distance travel since the "Trip" meter A or B had been reset. The further the distance the "slower" it will be to change or update. I use "A" for each fill up and "B" for shorter trips. Today for example I did a run of about 30km and my A trip went from 4.0 to 3.9lts (I'm sitting abut just over 400km on it) The B trip was reset and jumped up to over 8 when I stater then moved down to 6-5 quickly then down to 4 and after 30 km I actually had it at 3.4 while was pretty thrilling.

Hope this made sense

1 person likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you say rev the engine, i relate that to neutral in a standard car. do you mean in drive? that being said, i believe the gen II is every 3 seconds.

4. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What I mean by "rev the engine" is to say, for example, press hard on the gas pedal on D mode. My BMW used to have a needle to indicate the gas consumption in "Real Time". When I pressed the gas pedal, the needle would move to indicate how much gas the engine is burning. With the Prius, when I accelerate hard from a stop, the gas consumption (CON) reading does not change accordingly to reflect the "Real Time" fuel consumption.

5. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    toyolover sorry for my misunderstanding of the question. I drove a 325i for a number of years and know which gauge you refer to. With it I was quite happy to see it between 8-10Lts .. funny how perspectives change.

I have to admit I haven't notices a hugh lag on the Prius, wife has the car today but I will check tomorrow. I do keep an eye on this gauge most of the time as I find it give the most immediate feedback and when I accelerate from a stop it "seems" to respond pretty much realtime with the pressure I put on the gas pedal and once I remove my foot/let off the gas the bars drop realtime as far as I can recall.

As I said above I will check tomorrow, but could the "lag" just be the type of display digital bars rather then an analogue needle?? not sure.

Dan

1 person likes this.
  6. cmezriczky

cmezriczky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a bar on the right side of the speed indication (opposite the fuel level indication), that reports instantanious fuel consumption. Maybe that is the one you´re looking for.

1 person likes this.
  7. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks for clarifing this for me. Yes, you are right. To the left of the speed indicator, there is the "Real Time" gas consumption indicating bar. It changes with the gas pedal input. That's what I was looking for. I must be concentrating so much on the Hybrid Syetem Indicator displays and forgot about all the one that you said.

Back to the CONS. display, Page 192 in the maunal says it "displays the average fuel consumption since the function was last reset." No wonder it changes so little, and most of the time stays on between 4.9L-5.xL. I must have a very habitual driving style.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it updates about every 5-6 seconds or so. when u first fillup your tank, then drive off, u can see how often the MPG rating of your fresh tank changes as it will pretty much change constantly for at least the first few miles

1 person likes this.
  9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, I filled up this morning while my engine was slightly warmed up (thus the numbers fluctuated rapidly). The Consumption readout refreshes approximately every 10 seconds.

I pulled out of the gas station (after resetting my Trip odometer) and was stopped at a red light for about 30 seconds. I was counting as the numbers changed and I usually reached 10 - 11 seconds when it refreshed. Call it a 10 second refresh.