1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How soon should you get an oil change after the Maint Reqd light stays on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hiro Protagonist, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist New Member

It seems like a silly question, I know. This is my first Prius so I'm still in the dark about a lot of things. I've put about 5000 miles on it since I picked it up from the dealership (used, so there's about 21,000 miles on it).

My Maint Reqd light has been blinking for about a week, and meant to take it in this weekend to get an oil change but had no time. This morning on the highway (I commute ~45 miles each way every day) the light comes on and stays on (which makes sense if the dealership reset the maintenance data when I bought it).

Normally I'd take it in for an oil change this afternoon, but that may not be possible. I know the light illuminates based on a mileage meter and not an engine condition (ie low oil).

It may be the case that I can't take it in until this weekend. I'm just wondering if it's wise to keep driving it this week knowing I need an oil change and that I'm likely to put ~450 miles on it. I checked my oil this morning and it doesn't seem terribly low.

Should I top up the oil to keep it humming until the weekend? Should I just drive, since driving it for a week won't be an issue?

Help! :D

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Which particular Prius model do you have (gen1, 2 or 3/2010)? or what year is it?

3. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like you said it's a mileage thing, not low oil - the light comes on in Gen II at 4500 miles, so it's more a heads-up than a problem light. I'm sure if you go 5500 miles instead of 5000 you should be fine, just go a week and have it changed.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Personally, I just reset it.

I have gone to a 6-month, 6,000 miles routine using full synthetic oil. So when my light comes on at 4,500 miles, it means nothing to me.

5. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist New Member

Sorry, should have clarified. It's a 2008 model.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's OK if you change the oil at 5,500 miles. Since the powertrain warranty coverage for the engine requires you to change the oil at 5K miles or 6 month intervals (whichever comes first) I suggest that you not delay that service beyond the coming weekend.

7. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just follow Patrick's instructions. You won't ever be wrong. :)

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not a low oil indicator, just a straight mileage thing. But it's always a good idea to check your oil level from time to time. You only need to add oil if it's low on the dipstick.

9. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    i have a different take on this.

after 5,000 miles on my '06, the oil level has not moved from when it was previously filled. additionally, the oil is very, very clean.

the reason for this is that the Prius engine runs very little vs a conventional car.

i sometimes go to 7,500 miles. remember..the Gen3 manual now says 10,000 miles between oil changes.

personally, i believe that Gen2 is fine running standard oil 7,500 miles.