1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to adjust LED headlights on the v?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 09Priusman, Jul 20, 2012.

1. 09Priusman

09Priusman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I drove the v for the first time during the night yesterday on a two-hour trip, and as reported before the aim is way too low. I had to use the high beams a lot for an excellent view of the road at 75+ mph.

Anyone know, or could they direct me to a link, on how to adjust them? I could not find any posts about the subject after doing a search. BTW, the fog lights seem to be very weak on the v, but that could be caused by their light being washed out by the LEDs, which are super white and bright.

2. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On back of headlight you will find an upside down bottlecap like device. You need a screwdriver or a small socket to turn it. CC for higher, CCW for lower.
    A search here will help, it's the same process as for the halogen headlights.

Sappy likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've got that light combo on a 2010 Canadian Touring model. I'd concur about the foglights; it's hard to even tell when they're on. I hardly ever turn them on, never used them in earnest. They look cool though. ;)

4. 09Priusman

09Priusman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info. Yes, the slotted bottle cap like device was indeed the adjuster. I adjusted them (I used an ignition wrench) last night. I raised them about 6 inches on the garage door and took a test drive. The lights are perfect for me now and no flashing from oncoming drivers. I would say I gained a couple hundred feet of good light down the road. No overdriving the lights now at high speed.

Sappy likes this.
  5. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent!

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone look into replacing the H11 fog lamp bulbs with combined radial/projector high power LEDs?

7. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To adjust the aim of the low beams on my Prius v, I used 1/4 " socket wrench with a 5/16 socket. Set the wrench to loosen the plastic bolt on the back of the headlight.

8. Sappy

Sappy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    is the headlamp adjuster the same on a 2015 prius V "FIVE" model that comes equipped with led headlamps? and I'm not sure if my model came with "self leveling headlight" option

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it has the self-levelling you should see a little contraption of arms/elbows around the middle of the rear axle cross beam. Look under the rear with a light, even without raising you should be able to spot it. Around here:

upload_2017-11-26_9-45-8.png

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, but I did replace them with these LED bulbs. I didn't notice a difference in light level or quality, but they draw such little power that we just keep them on all the time (as additional DRL) which increases conspicuity. And with a life expectancy rating of 50K hours, they'll last the life of the car+ -- even when run all the time. Plus now the color temperature of the fogs matches the low beams. Not bad for $4!

BTW: I did the same with my Gen 2 when we still had that car.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. Old thread! I went with inverter-ON-triggered Morimoto-style LED lamps used as DRLs, a direct-fit replacement for OEM fogs. As you say, the ON-state current draw is minimal as DRLs and they are terrific squirrel finders.