1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To: Change Headlamp / Headlight bulb

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 20, 2007.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Scotty, did you order Halogen or HID?... I couldn't find the D4r's.

It looks like you order the Halogen Philips Vision Plus. This thread has gotten a bit confusing since the original title doesn't specify which type of bulb is being replaced.

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    windstrings, they are Halogens.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At least you didn't have all the issues all the HID folks are having... Most would not have chosen HID if they had known the expense and "lack" of longevity of the bulb.... since other cars don't seem to have this issue with their HID's... seems its obvious there is poor quality somewhere..... either the bulbs are bad, or the ballast is overdriving... or even "under" driving them..... since turning off and then back on seems to work for a while, I suspect it could be "under" driving them.

Will we experience the same problem with the new bulbs we purchase?... I suspect so if this is the case. Which only means new ballast are the only long term solution.

But if bulbs are cheap enough like the ones I bought on ebay.. I can live with it.

If and when that happens, I may op to go with a whole different kit.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm kind of glad that I didn't opt for the package with HID's after reading the problems you guys are having :p. I knew they are more expensive to replace, plus I had to wait longer if I wanted HID back in 2005. So it was a no-brainer for me.

The reasons I choose Philips Vision Plus cause, IMHO, it's a good balance between life span and brightness. It is brighter than OEM (also cheaper!), and should have longer life span than brighter bulbs (meaning they burn hotter) like Xtreme Power and Nightbreaker. This applies to Halogens only of course.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good choice ScottY.

Windstrings, I updated the title to include "Halogen". All the google videos got embedded to the post nicely! I guess the new PC software version did that automatically.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    which bulb is this that got blown out?

Let us know how the Vision Plus works. I'm running the Xtreme Power ones (and yeah.. they're hella hot and I've got DRLs so they're on ALL the time).

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The passenger side OEM bulb was out, 9 months after the driver side went out. So it lasted total of 3 years and 2 months. Not bad in my book. Oh, I only turn them on at night, not DRL's like yours.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM bulbs? interesting. Yeah my OEM bulbs are still in the toolbox lol.

Yeah the DRLs are shortening the lifespan of my bulbs. I would definitely like another option for DRL. Fogs won't work cause those get very very hot so I'm not comfortable running them as DRLs. <sigh>.

9. LesGas

LesGas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reading this I decided to change my headlight bulbs. I really wasn't seeing that well with the factory originals and I have always liked a brighter headlight.....must be getting old. Current mileage on car is 11,500 miles, bought in March of this year. I installed the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra.. So far a good improvement over the factory headlight bulbs. Picked them up at Autozone for $49.99 for a pack of 2. I'll report back when the first one goes out, but I have had good luck in the past with the Sylvania bulbs lasting and these are supposed to last longer than the Silverstars.

Has anyone else tried the Silverstar Ultra's?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think someone else was trying the Ultras but I haven't heard back from anyone regarding those bulbs on any forum.

Btw, my right bulb (Phillips X-Treme Power) has blown. I started the car, the headlights came on and the right one went out almost immediately after firing up.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TP,

So how many miles or kilometers did the Prius travel before the right side X-Treme Power bulb blew?

NB: I know that we have to take into account that you use them as DRLs so they're on all the time.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TP,

Sorry to hear about that. What are you planning to replace with?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo, I'll have to get back to you on that but it's been nearly a year (The bulbs arrived on the 3rd ot 4th Oct last yr). If I don't reply tomorrow, then it'll be a week or so for the reply.

usbseawolf2000, I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards the Phillips Vision Plus (mostly b/c of the 5 stars for lifespan) and it's still 50% plus.

I am spoiled with the Xtreme-Power bulbs though. They're bright enough that in a dark alley with one blown bulb, I still can see enough of the road safely with the left bulb. It's kind of amazing. With the Sylvania Silverstars, one bulb isn't enough to sufficiently light the road.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I didn't get a chance to see the Prius' km but looking at my FE sheet, it's about 26,000kms of driving.

I've went with the Phillips Vision Plus.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Vision Plus bulbs are still running... 7 months and counting. It sure beat 2-3 months from the X-Treme bulbs.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lifespan of Philips X-Treme Power Bulbs

Thanks Tideland,

Approximately 16,000 miles -- that's pretty good. More than your Ultrastars lasted.

But that's quite a contrast to usbseawolf's approximately 5,000 miles for one bulb and [8,000 miles?] for the other.

Mine are still going. But I've driven only about 3,500 miles with them.

If I can get around 16,000 miles out of mine like you did, I think I'll go with X-Treme Power bulbs again.

But if I only get 5,000 to 8,000 miles like usbseawolf, I think I'll switch to the Vision Plus bulbs too (or that other Philips bulb that's supposed to be as bright as the Vision Plus, but specially formulated with different colors in different sections for better illumination at night).

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good stuff.

They lasted 1-2 months longer than the Silverstars. I never had the Ultras. They're bright enough that one bulb illuminated the alley very nicely unlike the Silverstars.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the Phillips bulbs installed over Thanksgiving and had to do some major headlight adjustment (they were all over the place). They seem decently bright. Definitely not white like the Silverstars and not as bright as the X-Treme Power but they're still decently bright enough.

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm gonna bring this one back alive. I'm not replacing my Prius headlights, but will replace the "fogs" as well as the main headlights in my Rav4EV. They all take 9006. I've searched all over the place, and there is still no consensus on anything of course. Lots of folks seem to love the Silver Stars, and now there is the Ultra out. Though nobody agrees on what the Ultra means. Some say they just last longer while others say they're also brighter. :shrug:

Thanks for this great thread. I'll certainly report back anything I learn on my personal quest!

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It looks like 4 more months passed by, almost a year now. Philips Vision Plus is still running.