1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To: Change Headlamp / Headlight bulb

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 20, 2007.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great! Well in the meantime, I ordered up three pair of Silver Start Ultras. 2x 9006 (low beam for Rav4EV and Prius fogs) plus high beam of the Rav4EV. I'm looking forward to at least everything being better than stock! And this should make the color tint of the fogs match the HIDs a bit better than the yellow that the car comes with. Not that I'm a slave to fashion, but I want my kiddie room nightlights to match, dang it!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good. Let us know how they turn out! I've yet to hear back from an owner of SS Ultras.

3. deros68

deros68 bought ours in 2002

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Help,

I own a 2002 Prius (bought in Nov 2002) still doing well at 90000+ miles but it has DRL and incredibly weak factory bulbs. We moved to Washington state (rain/fog long nights etc..) and I desperately need to increase the headlights light output (they are adjusted well - not out of alignment). 1. I cannot find the link for the: "how to change the headlight bulb" vidoes/photos. 2. anyone care to recommend a brighter bulb - I saw a Xenon HID combo headlight bulb on Overstock.com for $23 - would that give me 25% more light ? If recommended I will go fo the higher priced bulbs.

In my younger days I did a fair bit of work as a mechanic - any special tools needed to change the bulbs ? :)

deros68 - at - yahoo.com

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Make sure you have HID and not Halogens?

Im not familiar with 2002, but I thought HID started in 2003, but I could be mistaken.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The bulbs are easy to change without tools. We've used Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs, Sylvania Silverstars and Phillips Vision Plus (they're all in this thread).

Summary:

Xtreme-Power: Very bright and uniform light and great value. Slightly whiter but not noticeable

Silverstars: Look extremely white, almost HID-like. Poor wet road illumination. Whiter light. Most expensive of the lot.

Vision Plus: Whiter than stock but less than Silverstars. Brighter than Silverstars but less. Seem like a good compromise

Just note that they all will have shorter lifespans than stock bulbs.

Also, check your 12V battery first. It might be the battery that's producing the poor light output.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

HID's started w/ the 2004 MY. 2001-2003 were Halogen only, w/ optional DRL (70% brightness on low beam).

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good to know HTMLspinnr, So Deros68, you might try some of Tideland Prius's suggestions.... Me personally, I think the Silverstars would be nice if the budget is ok...

And Welcome to the Forum!

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: How To: Change Halogen Headlamp / Headlight bulb

Thanks again usbseawolf for your great written instructions, photos and videos (and thanks again to Tideland who first wrote the written instructions).

I just wanted to point out that the video for removing the fuse box cover shows you releasing the two slots/tabs in the rear of the fuse box cover first. But I don't think that's necessary as those are retention tabs, not release tabs, so there is no need to release them first (in fact, you probably shouldn't release them first the way it's shown in the video because doing so unnecessarily risks breaking them):

[​IMG]

Instead, just press hard on the square push-release tab at the front of the fuse box cover (as mentioned in the written instructions and as shown on the video), and then lift the cover up and off the two slots/tabs in the rear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it's time to put the cover back on, you reverse the procedure, i.e., first you hook those two slots in the rear of the fuse box cover around the two tabs in the rear of the fuse box, and then you press down on the front of the fuse box cover until the front release tab (clasp) clicks into place.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: This info is also useful for jump starting your Prius. If you ever have to jump start your Prius, you'll need to remove the fuse box cover in order to access the positive (+) connection point underneath that red flap door which you can see in the above picture.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I just have to figure out how to link your post or move your post to the first page.

Edit: Done. It's now linked from USB's post.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Boo and TP for the kaizen contribution.

Boo, did you headlight go out? Just wondering if just happened to be playing around with the fuse box or if you had to change the bulb.

My Vision Plus are still going and it has been a year. I put on about 30k miles a year.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, my Philips X-Treme Power headlights are still good. But I only drive about 3000 miles a year. My total mileage last Saturday after more than 2 years of driving was only 6800 miles (which included a 1200 mile roadtrip).

Rather, I was preparing to lend my ex-wife the Prius for a month or two, so I wanted to be able to tell her exactly how to safely jump start the battery.

This of course led me to trying to find that positive connection point in the fuse box, which led me to trying to find out how to open the fuse box cover, which led me to your extremely helpful video.

Before finding your video and one poster's post about the front release tab, I had spent a couple of hours looking for info about and trying to figure out how to open that darned cover.

12. alan

alan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My right and left HID headlight would turn off by themselves, one at a time or both at the same time, however, if I turned the light switch off then on again the headlight would turn back on.

After getting stopped too many times by the State Police & NYC cops; I went to the Bronx Toyota Service and I was told it was going to cost me $400 to replace one bulbs, and $367 for the ballast, for a total of $1000 with labor. It also cost me $95 for his tech to tell me this.

If I was going to replace both headlights it was going to cost $2000. Gee, and just think I spent $95 plus tax to find this out. I told the service manager my bulbs work so why are they going to replace them. He said he was going to check with Toyota on Monday since I was spending my money for the repair.

It looks like I might be replacing my bulb myself. 2004 Silver, 136,000 miles.
    I wasn't worried about getting a ticket because my insurance covers me for moving violations.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well Alan, I never found anything about insurance on that link you left but if you have read this thread at all, there are many options besides getting screwed.
    Maybe we all need insurance for that! :)

1 person likes this.
  14. frank99

frank99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    young frankenstine was on the other day . sliver streak on tonight and the Man from tx might haved save me several $, foung the post with pics and vids here now off to ebay and find the right bulb thanks frank

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 person likes this.
  16. deros68

deros68 bought ours in 2002

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hey ALL - be warned - on the 2002 model (classic model ?) the headlights are not at all like what I see in the posts to this thread. I originally was told ( by a Toyota dealer ) that I would have to remove (or mostly remove ) the front plastic skirt to change the headlight bulbs. Having spent 3 hours trying that I finally gave up and will be taking the car into a good local non-Toyota repair shop to get the bulbs changed. As it turns out you do have to remove the front plastic skirt to get to the 3rd of three bolts that let you gain access to change the headlight bulbs. I still like my little Prius but I must say that maintenance on it is very difficult when compared with non hybrid cars. Considering the complexity of the HYBRID powertrain it seems that packing all that into a light weight efficient car makes simple maintenance more difficult. Peering into tightly packed mechanical areas reminds me of the often convoluted efforts it took to maintain an F-4 Phantom ( in the late 1960s)

thanks

;)

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My driver side bulb is dead. It lasted about 1.5 years.

I have over 100k miles now. I have to figure out how many miles I put on it.

[Edit]: It lasted about 45,000 miles.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the X-Treme Power?

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Vision Plus lasted 45K miles / 1.5 years. It replaced the X-Treme power. How is yours doing?

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh ok. My Vision Plus is still going but keep in mind that it hasn't been a year yet (we'll see this Oct).