1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to clean the dashboard?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusGirlyGirl, Dec 10, 2009.

1. PriusGirlyGirl

PriusGirlyGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Blizzard Pearl Prius II. The interior is a dark gray. I had this for almost 4 weeks and it is so dusty!

How can I keep it clean without scratching my car using paper towels? I brought Office Depot monitor wipes for electronics that are pre-moistened, lint-free wpes that are supposed to remove dirt and dust. Do you think it's safe to use on my car? It says not to get in contact with skin. But I think I would rewipe it with a wet wash cloth.

Office Depot Brand Cleaning Wipes For Electronics Pack Of 80 by Office Depot

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the California Car Duster works well enough on my dash. If you keep up on the dust then it is rare that you should need anything else.

In those instances that I need to use a cleaner I just use Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. I avoid electronics and screens with anything but water and a microfiber towel unless I have persistant stains then I have used the Quick Detailer and experienced no problems. I would not spray anything directly on the electronics though. Wet the cloth towel first then wipe.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    F8L's suggestions will work well. Also you can use the Pledge or Swifter Duster with a quick spray of the Multi Surface spray on the duster and it's been doing fine for me as well. I also have the Dark Grey Interior and it's doing a good job....

If I use Paper Towels at all, I use Bounty since they seem to be the softest with limited lint.

;)

1 person likes this.
  4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    GirlyGirl,

I use one of those Pledge 360° dusters. (I, too, noticed more dust than I expected -- figured everything is shedding since it's new.)

For the screens, I'm going to buy a kit specifically made to clean them. Especially since I've put my greasy paddies all over the SatNav screen already.

1 person likes this.
  5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've used a California mini duster on my cars' interiors for years with great results.

6. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Learned this cleaning trick from my mother and have used it for more than 45 years on all my cars, including my 2010 Prius. Put about a cup of non-sudsy, household ammonia and about 1/2 cup of white vinegar in in a two gallon bucket and fill the bucket about 3/4 full with hot water. Use a chamois or one of the synthetic absorbers to wash the windows and an old bath/hand towel to wipe everthing else clean, including the dashboard. Your car will smell fresh and actually be clean without damaging the environment or your own health.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just got mine tinted and the installer specifically warned against using ammonia based cleaners on the tint. FYI

8. Crazyhorse6901

Crazyhorse6901 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe every other decade we pick up a pack of flannel diapers from Sears. These are 24"~30" square flannel sheets, very soft and absorbent. Soaked with plain water and wrung out, they are very versatile wipes, both for interior wipe down, and for drying after washing the car. With the interior, once I've vac'd and wiped down, I'll sometimes switch my wet/dry over to blow, with all the doors open. Great for chasing the dust out of obscure corners, vents, etcetera.

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The issue is getting fine dust out of the grain of the plastic (no?). This is similar to the problem of cleaning anti-static mats in a electronics lab. Here is what we do.

Put Simple Green 1:7 mix (1 part simple green to 7 part clean water, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, Mix can be more or less, but it CANNOT be straight Simple Green) into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the surface, and avoid breathing the fine mist. Use a soft brush to brush the mixture into the grain of the surface - the surface will actually begin to look dry at this point. But its not. Spray more simple green mix onto the surface, until some puddling begins. The dirt is now floating out of the grain of the surface.

Remove the simple green mix/ dirt with a one-way wipe techinque. Start at one end, and pull the mix off with a absorbtive towel (we use paper towel in the lab, but for a delicate surface, use a microfiber towel). Only use a dry portion of the towel for the next strip of wiping. When all of the towel is wet, use a new towel. Throw out the paper towel, or put the microfiber towel in the laundry. Do not redistribute dirty mxture by a circular wiping action.

We have ten year old anti-static mats that are just fine with this technique. The 3M mat salemen did not believe us, until he brought in his anti-static mat tester and checked them.

elementnomore likes this.
  12. greenewl

greenewl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am suprised nobody mentioned a shamwow!

13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just vacuum the dash using the brush attachment. I usually follow up with a little pledge and a clean soft cloth. I like to the the steering wheel, controls and stalks, too.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For automotive interiors it should be diluted at least 32:1 (1 ounce/qt or 4 ounces/gallon)and kept off clear plastic, so don't get any overspray on your MFD or any other display. It will cloud some clear plastics. Even if it's diluted it will just cloud them slower. Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt.

Cleaning Tips

Unless someone has puked on your dashboard and it has dried in the sun :eek:for a day or more, then you could even use a leaner mixture than 32:1.:)

15. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I keep a swiffer in the glove comparment just for this.

16. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use compressed air.

17. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use one of those fuzzy dusters on a wooden wand they sell for cleaning Venetian blinds.