1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to disable the stability/traction control?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cossie1600, Aug 16, 2009.

1. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wait till tomorrow when you have an inch of ice on that 3 or 4 inches of snow. Are you running with CART, I see a Prius listed in several of the events?

2. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car is not climbing any hills if there is indeed snow/ice on the ground. Here is the problem, my house/driveway/roadway is on a hill.

Yes I did, but the car is retired from it I think. It's too hard to overcome the traction control.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We just had 6-8 inches of snow last week. My Prius pulled right out of the parking lot over untraveled snow. The next day it had melted, frozen over and the parking lot was a big sheet of ice. Pulled right out. I do not have any steep inclines but still have inclines with ice and slush and had no problems.

My son just got back from a ski trip to Snowshoe,WV and was showing me a video at the resort where the Suburban they were traveling in spun out, hit a snow bank and almost flipped over when going around a 90 degree turn in the road and up a steep incline. A Gen II Prius that was following them walked right by them. Both cars had chains.

4. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wondered who it was, and how you were getting away with the tc, I have the same problems you have, a very steep drive way, I get half way up and it takes the gas away and I'm sliding back down the driveway, think I'll take the Z06 out of mothballs and put snows on it at least I can push the button and drive the car on my own. Traded a tahoe in for the Prius and I'm starting to feel house bound, but at 9 mpg the Hoe was getting a little expensive to keep fueled up. If you look on past years on the Cart web sight for a 04 Red Z06 Vette it's mine, I was able to take the A mod class for several years, I now run the longer track like FT Devens. Does Bill Evans know you??

5. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That was me. The traction control wasn't a problem when my car was new (new tires) since it had enough traction. I was able to use that as an advantage to get a FTD in bad weather two years ago. Last year I tried to do the same thing, but the traction control and the slow steering got in the way of me repeating my attempt. I traded in my 2005 C6 for the Prius too. I know about the fuel mileage. I did a rallycross with the Prius this past weekend, idled the car for 4 hours, I only used .5 gallons in the whole deal. It's amazing how fuel efficient this car is. Yes Bill knows me, been running with him for about 6-8 years now.

As far as traction control, this is how you turn it off. This came from page 4 of this thread (thanks to the poster), I have this printed out and stored in my glove box

Certification Mode:
    Perform the following steps from (1) through (4) in 60 seconds.
    (1) Turn the power switch on (IG).
    (2) Fully depress the accelerator pedal three times with park (P) selected.
    (3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal three times with neutral (N) selected.
    (4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal three times with park (P) selected.
    (5) Check that "CERTIFICATION MODE" is displayed on the multi-
    information display.
    (6) Start the engine by turning the power switch on (READY) while depressing the brake pedal.

To disable both modes, just turn the car off.

So I tried the rallycross thing with the Prius, you can tell how annoying the traction control was. As soon as I experienced any large amount of wheelspin, the brakes would come out and my power would get cut. I had a tough time pulling the car out of any corners. I really wanted to turn off the system, but I didn't want to break it rallying.

3 people like this.
  6. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did the rally with the Tahoe and of course Bill 3 years ago, Bill had us in Canada in about 1 hour, he's driven my vette and taught me how autox and the student finally out did the teacher. Did make a copy of how to get in the cert mode. Your post makes it sound like I got rid of the Vette but it was the Tahoe that went , the Vette is a one off car Bill can give you more info about it as legally I can't

7. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    cool. come down and join us again this year

8. knightstar007

knightstar007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello...I have a 2010 Prius and my faith in the Traction control is still undecided...I live 2 hours south of Buffalo and what I have found out regarding the traction control is the car handles great on dry roads and even when the roads have a coating of one to two inches of snow on them. Where I ran into problems is when the state's NY and PA applies there (what I call the SLURRY mix) road salt, sand and the combination of the snow melting from the salt. My 2010 Prius traction control system is BAD. Now I have 20 thousand miles on the tires which are Brimstones and I just bought new all season tires for it being spring is around the corner I hope. The tread is about half gone which is contributing to the problem but the way the car brakes loose at slow speeds is scary!! Example...the roads had about 1 to 2 inches of snow on them and the plow truck just put down its load of salt and sand mix. The SLURRY mix had not started yet but there where patches on the road where the sand and salt where melting the snow. I made it all the way to the top of the hill on RT16 south of Olean NY to Barnum Road and I was averaging about 40 mph. The car was handling fine!! Once I got to the top of the hill I slowed way down to about 5 mph because the incline is very steep and the SLURRY mix was working overtime. After starting down the hill I had the car in the "B" mode with my foot on the brakes lightly and once the car hit the SLURRY mix I could feel the car lung forward because the antilock brakes system sensed both wheels sliding and I think the electric motor was contributing to my acceleration for about 2 seconds I start to pick up speed. I quickly put the car in the "D" mode with my foot still pressing on the brakes then I felt the tires regaining traction which quickly brought the car to stop. I'm glad I was at 5 mph because I could feel the car starting to slid toward the shoulder of the road due to the crown of the road in which there was about a foot where I would have hit the rail. So will better tires work? I Hope so!! The longer I have the car I like it more and more because of the gas mileage!! I just which Toyota could have came up with a override for the traction control system like the Honda Insight!! Note…MY girl friend has a 2010 Insight and she likes my car better!! The car was thought out better then the Insight regarding CREATURE FEAUTRES!! Coffee cup placement and Plug in for a GPS raises a problem and just getting your cup out with out looking down is a problem! Head Rest placement for short people…Ladies…Head rest tips forward to high on the head!! Back door on the Insight hit sticks out oddly and hits you as your getting in or out. Visibility is much better looking out the Prius then the Insight!! One plus about the Insight are the display lights are much nicer then the Prius. The blue instruments lights on the Insight are much better then the Prius. I have a built in GPS in my Prius in which it’s a JBL system and I wish Toyota would have went with a GARMAN system. More user friendly and better display system!! The JBL GPS system is OK but one thing Toyota should do is have an override system installed so as ALL the functions work on the GPS, Phone, and radio system. I no its so the driver isn’t messing with the functions but come on…The passenger can manipulate the control function on the system with out stopping the car!! All Toyota would need to do is use the pressure switch in the front passenger seat to correct the problem!! How about it! Terry

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Was there a question in that previous post? I can't get myself to read a monolithic block like that. Perhaps a little editing and some paragraphs are in order.

Tom

10. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    car doesnt accelerate forward, it just feels like it when your front wheels lose traction or when your brake system changed. let me guess, never rotated tires? yhalf worn at 20k seems to be a lot if you rotate tires

11. majordude

majordude Member

I have a 2005 and both seem to work. Doing the 2x2x2 (maitenence mode) displays one red icon and 3x3x3 (certification mode) displays 2 red icons. Is this how it is supposed to work?

12. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried this many times, it didn't work. when i selected neutral the park button light did not go out? some one please help.

13. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I finally got my Prius v (wagon) to go into neutral for step (3) by depressing the brake while selecting neutral. After the procedure I entered ready mode, step (6), and saw slip indicator light and Hybrid System Warning Light (no buzzer) were lit up solid. Don't know if I like the idea of testing for wheel spin when I get some ice/snow. I'm afraid of hurting something In my marvel of engineering. It's good to know you can disable traction controll in case you really REALLY need it.

14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Chazz8, I used your advice pressing on the brake peddle when selecting neutral and it worked

15. bigbearballs

bigbearballs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    what do you mean (IG) in step 1?

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IG = ignition On, or make Ready.