1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to DIY my HID ballast?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Adam Lee, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Adam Lee

Adam Lee Kung Pao Master

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello, all!

I made an honest (and time-consuming) search throughout the forums, and did not find a specific "how-to" on HID ballast replacement.

Has anyone replaced their HID ballast for a GenII model with HID lamps? My car is a 2007 Package 6 and I replaced both lamps myself (only a half hour!) with Stillenmaxima ebay replacements. After about a week, the passenger bulb is out.

As I understand the arc-light principle, I believe my next logical step is to remove, test, and probably replace the ballast for that side.

Help or tips appreciated.

BTW, I was able to replace the driver's HID bulb by simply removing the plastic "apron" radiator cover above the grill and the fuse box cover; and could fit my hand fairly well with minimal blood loss.

The passenger side bulb went a bit better; I only removed the black plastic air breather piece (I think that's what it was) to do so.

Adam

2. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

Sounds like checking the ballast is the right thing to do. I got my bulbs from the same place and they are still going strong. Go here:

100K maint - 3

Remove the whole headlight housing with the info there and they are easy to work on. It looks a LOT harder than it is. Took me about 10min to get the driver headlight out. I had to replace the inverter coolant pump. When I looked at the headlight housing, the ballast is right there on the back. Easy to get to with the housing removed from the car. It's so easy to get them out this way, that I'll be replacing the bulbs this way from now on.

Are you getting a new ballast from Toyota? Just interested in how much and where you buy it for future reference.

3. kmpask

kmpask New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've an HID passenger side issue since December 09 and fought with Toyota for 3 months with absolutely zero satisfaction. Finally paid $95 to find out the bulb was good but ECU was bad. They quoted me a bit over $600 to replace it. Found a used ECU on Ebay for $60 and the local independent says it will be about $100 to put in. I know I'm taking a crapshoot but just put a used VSC ECU in for $300 and saved $1900 over dealer. Will save $25000 by not buying another Prius at least....lol

Are you getting a new ballast from Toyota? Just interested in how much and where you buy it for future reference.[/QUOTE]

4. jlawson01

jlawson01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    saw your post from some time ago. just join myself.

I have a 07 also. My headlights issue started in 09. very sporadic. I didn't do anything until last year due to cost and I wanted to research this issue.

I've replaced my bulbs three time. long story short. I recently replaced the passenger ballast (bulbs where all good). I had to cut out part of the plastic to assist the cable out of the head lamp assembly. very tight squeeze. the ballast was not faulty either. I Had Toyota run a diagnostic on electric sys. they said it was the bulb. No it's not. I think it is a small transformer in the headlight assembly. right next to the bulb housing .

Love my gas mileage, not happy with Toyota. might sell car the car. Won't have Toyota fix it out of spite and outrageous cost for something that is definitely wrong with their car.

Karl.Sklar likes this.
  5. pdreid300

pdreid300 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently bought a used 07 Prius that had the Rt HID headlight going on and off intermittently. I replaced the HID ballast by purchasing a used Lexus unit on ebay and new bulbs on ebay. The HID ballast must be disassembled to get the old unit out and the new one in. To remove the wire out of the light casing, the head of the ballast wire that attaches to the bulb must be removed. Unfold the metal tangs of the metal shroud and remove it. I used small jewelers screwdrivers to pop it out. then you have to use two small screwdrivers to unsnap the black plastic cover and a large screwdriver where the wires inter to pop the case apart. Then there are two wires that just pull out of the black plastic end. Of course be careful since this has a lot of voltage that could be discharged. I used rubber gloves and only used the handle of the screwdriver to protect me. Snake the wire out and so the old unit is removed. Now remove the head of the replacement ballast and snake the wire back in the headlight housing and replace the head. Not super hard and you get to practice on the broken old unit first to perfect your technique so doing it on the new one is easy. Total cost. $50 for ballast and $50 for bulb. Works great. My ballast part number was:85967-24010. And the bumper removal was easy. look on youtube for nice walk through on removing the bumper.

6. Britt Bradford

Britt Bradford New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Help!! I just replaced the bulb in my 2007 prius touring model and its still not working, could someone confirm my next step...is it replacing the ballast and where would i find a replacement?? Thanks in advance.