1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOW-TO: Front bumper removal

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SquallLHeart, Apr 11, 2012.

1. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I have an idea that the reason why Hondas were so popular back in the 80's and 90's was that anyone could buy a full factory service manual for about $100 back then. That everyone had access on how to fix and modify the cars is what I believe lead to the rise in garage modified import cars. Most were simply awful, but put the manuals with their very specific information in the right hands and some results were so spectacular, the factories would be proud.

I think Toyota is missing a real asset by pricing the manuals outside of what the average owner would see as "normal".

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    with that in mind.. i wonder if you've checked the recent prices of Honda manuals... are they still $150?

3. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It still is for the CR-Z that I intended to purchase last year, but decided against.

Helm Incorporated: Search Results

4. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    so it looks like the Honda Service manual.. looks to be only 1/3 of the information that Toyota gives you.. then again... there are like 3 volumes in the Toyota one right??

so.. at that point... theoretically speaking... the Service Manual for Toyota is like $200....? if that's split evenly between the volumes anyway.

(when that person called (the one that mentioned it cost $600 total).. was it for all the repair manuals ONLY? or did it include the wiring diagrams too?).. i would say the Repair Manuals at most.. i would think would be like $300-400 for all three.

Toyota has different sections... honestly the Repair Manual is something I wouldn't use too much unless it was mechanical/engine related... I'm more for the Wiring Diagrams.

5. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The Honda manuals cover everything as well...

Book includes Maintenance Schedules, Specifications, Troubleshooting, Special Tools, Removal/Installation, Disassembly and Adjustment. Repair instruction on Engine Electrical, Engine, Cooling, Fuel and Emissions, Transaxle, Steering, Suspension, Brakes including ABS, Body, Heating/Air Conditioning/Ventilation, Body Electrical and Restraints.

Regardless, I'll not be purchasing the c manuals unless I can get them at a discounted price somewhere. $600 is way more than I'm willing to spend.

Sorry to derail your front bumper removal thread... your access to the manuals and your willingness to share is much appreciated. :)

6. hnx676

hnx676 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the correct procedure for the following:
    - replace the side turning indicator on the wing mirror
    - replace the horn

Thanks in advance :)

7. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the horn is easy... it's just removing the front bumper.. and you have access to it.

the side mirrors.. just take off the painted cover, and the light assembly is just screwed in.

8. hnx676

hnx676 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks...

9. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    umm.. was there something else you were concerned or worried about that you wanted to know? if you're trying to do something specific.. i can help you out a little more.

Lori9396 and Mike500 like this.
  10. hnx676

hnx676 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really Ren, just trying to see if there is an easier way to access the horn, without removing the front bumper.. But I think you are right after fiddling around abit..

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked a Cadillac shop manual on Helm and it's $200. I've owned these sets when I had my Caddys and they're very comprehensive.

12. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the car's name is Ren.. mine is Trung :)

but yea.. there's no access to the horn without removing the bumper.. i tried.. but at least the bumper isn't really difficult to remove.. i've already done it twice for different reasons.

13. hnx676

hnx676 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    My sincere apology on getting your name wrong..

Another off topic questions, I am in thinking of swaping out the lightbulbs with LEDs.. Do you know what are the actual size of those bulbs used for tail light and reverse light? I think the turn signals are T20 and the front parking light, rear license plate light are T10...

14. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the little small bulb in the headlight (which are the same size as the interior dome/map lights.. are 168/194.. as far as the turn signals up front.. i haven't really bothered to look as well as the ones in the back... i haven't seen many LED bulbs that are suited well to replace those areas and typically don't bother looking into changing them out.

now that you mentioned it.. newer led bulb styles are available that might be ok.. i'll look later and post up the sizes.

15. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    SquallLHeart,

how long does it take to remove it ? put back on?

thanks

16. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I trying to get an estimate to how much time I need to set aside to do the grill blackout project, whole morning, whole day, whole weekend, or take a week's vacation. I also want to make templates of the grilles, for next winter when I will need to do block out pieces.

Your thoughts on how to do block out pieces that are removable from outside?

logical

17. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    you can remove the bumper in like uh... 5 minutes?.. well.. I can anyway...

i suppose maybe closer to 10-15 minutes for the average person... and about the same amount of time putting it back on.

umm.. grill blackout? you mean a grille block?

i made mine out of foam and installed them in the front... no bumper removal needed.. just cut to fit and put them in... and very easy to install and remove.

if you look at my blacked out bumper picture in that thread, I did the upper grille block only.. because without a scanguage at the moment to monitor temps.. I don't feel too comfortable blocking out the bottom fully as well.

it's just foam pipe insulation I got from home depot.

Lori9396, DJMaudio and Logical like this.
  18. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Many thanks, Trung, for the information you so freely share.

By any chance did you notice whether the front Toyota badge (the one in my fuelly banner below) is attached with screws? None of the others are, but as I poked my fingers through holes and shone a flashlight into those holes, it appears it might be.

If it is, I'll use your helpful bumper removal info, if not, I can save some time.

Thanks in advance for any info you've got.

19. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    there are two screws that hold the emblem assembly in... then 4 claws.. and 2 guides... sure. lol.
    but yes.. 2 screws.

if it's just the actual silver Toyota logo itself.. then I do believe it's just clipped into that assembly.. though i'm not sure how easy it would be to remove it without taking out the assembly..

i'd be afraid to break those clips if you try to remove it forcefully from the front.. here's the backside of the assembly:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks to your photo, I decided to just pull the badge from the assembly since the screws didn't affect the piece itself. The tabs did not break. I used a wooden ice cream bar stick shaved down a bit and it worked wonderfully to pry the part loose. All the other badges around the car are held on by that rubbery accessory adhesive. This one is not. No force is needed, just a little gentle persuasion.

Sone paint and my goal was attained:

Attached Files:

garm and karabits like this.