1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to include pictures

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by nerfer, Mar 20, 2008.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's two methods to bring an image into the post - either by uploading it to PriusChat, or linking in an image already uploaded someplace else. An image uploaded to PriusChat can come from your computer or again someplace online. Images that are uploaded show up as thumbnails, click on them to see the full-size image.

Upload an image (from URL or your computer):
    First, click on the paperclip to bring up the attachment window. From here there's two ways - upload the image from a URL if you've already loaded the file someplace else on the web, or upload from your computer using the browse and upload buttons. Close the window.

Second, click on the paperclip again, this time choose the insert attachments option. Now you'll see attachments in your edit window. When you finish the post, it will have a thumbnail (reduced-size image) in the post that people can click on to see the full-size image.
    • Advantage: only way to directly load an image directly from your computer to PriusChat
    • Disadvantage: limited disk space available, but it should handle most everybody's needs. Maximum JPEG size is 1024x768. Pictures in the post are first seen as thumbnails.
    Link to an image (URL only):
    If you want the full-size image directly in the post, click on the icon of the mountain with a yellow background. This will let you directly load in the picture, but only from an existing URL.
    • Advantages: doesn't count towards PriusChat disk space, shows as full size in post
    • Disadvantages: if the image at the URL goes away, so does the picture in the post. May take a page longer to load if there are lots of full-size pictures.
    To get the URL: this is the internet address, starting with http:// To get the full URL to an image that is part of another page (for instance something that ends with .html or .asp, not .jpg or .gif), right-click on the image (Mac owners using an original one-button mouse can ctrl-click). Generally you can choose 'properties', and there will be a URL line. In Firefox and Mac Safari you can also choose 'view image' and it will come up in a window or tab by itself, now you can simply copy the full URL.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nerfer,

If I upload directly from my computer and reach my cumulative maximum capacity allowance; and therefore I start deleting saved photos or other attachments to make room for new ones, what happens to my prior posts that contained those photos that I've deleted? Would the posts no longer contain those deleted photos?

NB: This is definitely sticky-worthy. I seem to recall that the old software used to have a PC Instructions Section.

3. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you can upload more images after you reach your limit, but that's more of a question for Danny. I was also looking for a way to reuse an attachment you've already uploaded, but you can't do that thru the attachment window either. Once it's there, that's it. (But you could find that attachment in your previous post as use the 'link image' method with its URL (the hover tip calls it 'Insert Image')).

Unless you're a heavy user of images, by the time you hit your limit (if ever) disk space will be cheaper and the limits will be raised.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had reached my individual disk space limit already (in less than a year's worth of posts), probably because I had posted nothing but full size, high resolution pictures.

Yesterday, I deleted a bunch of photos from my Manage Attachments so that I could post more photos directly from my computer. I suspect (but haven't done more than a check of a few posts) that my prior posts that had contained those photos I deleted, now do not contain those photos.

I think I'm going to have to switch to uploading photos from URL instead. That way the photos can be full size/high resolution, and appear directly in the post that way (instead of a thumbnail).

5. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you know more about this than I do. Can you see attachments that you've uploaded previously, or do you have to delete memory blindly? You should be able to search on attachment IDs, but I can't see anything like that after the post using the attachment is done.

Do you have a decent image editing program, so you can modify the image size and quality to get the minimum that's still effective? I like GraphicConverter ($40) for the Mac, I'm sure equivalent low-cost programs exist for windows. Helps a lot with e-mails to my parents, who have a dial-up connection.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [EDITS IN RED]

You can click on the blue-linked file name on the left to see the picture before you decide whether to delete it.

BTW, I just looked at some more of my posts that originally contained photos that I deleted from my Attachments libary. I'm nearly 100% sure now that if you delete a photo from your Attachments library (in order to make more disk space available to upload photos from your computer), then this results in deleting the photo from all posts you made that originally contained the photo. When you go to those posts you'll see text describing the attachment, e.g. "[Attachment ...]", but no photo anywhere. So that's a bummer -- for me personally, and for others who may want to see that photo.

Yes I have a "borrowed" version of PhotoShop on one of my computers. And I hear that there are decent free programs out there too. But I'm a bit of a novice at any tech stuff. So I haven't learned how to PhotoShop yet. Nor have I used a photo sharing site like flickr yet, so I still haven't uploaded a URL photo onto PC yet. But I'll get there soon enough.:)

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi nerfer. On my MacBook Pro (no mouse) I ctrl-click on an image to bring up a contextual menu to open, copy, save, or save image address. option-click does nothing.

8. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, you're right. I updated my initial post, thanks. I upgraded my mouse so long ago to a two-button + scroll wheel, that I've forgotten the 'old-fashioned' way of doing that.

9. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I'm still not seeing anything like that. That must show up when you fill up your attachment space (which is 50MB, not huge admittedly).

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [EDITS IN RED]

Hi nerfer,

No your disk space does not have to be full.

1. Click on User CP

2. Click on Attachments

3. You should now have a page with the heading, Attachments Posted By nerfer

4. The page will have 3 columns.

The column on the left has the heading Attachments and will show the file type icon and blue-linked file name of each attachment. If you click on the blue-linked file name the photo will show. Alternatively, at the bottom of the page you can elect to "Show Thumbnails", in which case a thumbnail of each attachment will show under this Attachments column.

The column in the middle will show the Thread and Post titles for each attachment.

The column on the right will show the Date of each attachment.

In addition, there will be a column of sorts on the furthest right containing boxes which you can check if you want to take further action with respect to an attachment.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found it -- it's under the FAQ link. But its "how to" answer to What Are Attachments? is wholly inadequate, e.g., it doesn't say anything about an individual user's cumulative disk space limit for attachments uploaded from a user's computer, and it says nothing at all about uploading URL attachments:

PriusChat Forums - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

12. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I never looked there! That's good info. If I do need to delete something I can at least see which ones have been downloaded the least. (Like anything posted to the political threads :(... altho I think the old images weren't made into thumbnails before the big PriusChat website switch-over a few months back, so the older download counts probably aren't an accurate record of viewers).

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem Uploading URL Photos

Nerfer or anyone:

Uploading Photos from URL: I had never done this before either on PC or elsewhere, nor have I ever done photo sharing of any kind, so this is all new to me. So last night I joined the new Adobe Photo Shop combined photo sharing and editing website that's still in its Beta phase, uploaded some photos there, then tried uploading the URLs for these photos to a PC post, but it didn't work. The photo would only appear in the post as that familiar little box with a red x in it. Does anyone know what I may have done wrong? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

14. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Problem Uploading URL Photos

What was the image format? I ran into a problem trying to use PDFs - it worked on Mac Safari, but not Firefox or IE 6 on XP. But the old standbys *.gif and *.jpg should have no problem.

Other than that I'm not sure what the problem could be, assuming you had a properly formed URL (like http://websitename.com/yyy.jpg)

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what went wrong with my first attempts to upload URL photos. But I think others have run into that problem too (I've seen recent posts by others which also had nothing but that little box with a red x in it). I'm going to experiment more, probably with a different photo sharing site like flickr. Then when I get it right, I'll probably go back to that Adope Photo Shop site because I like the way it combines Photo Shop editing with photo sharing.

16. fastnff

fastnff New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm having a hard time finding pictures in this website. So far i have only seen user icons but no real albums. Does this site offer this feature? Please advise....

17. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Unless something changes with this post, my Profile Picture is not posting. I can see it when I check UserCP and Edit Profile Picture. What am I missing?:confused:

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an oldish thread, but now worth continuing. Please take a
    look at thread 58436, and the source of the HTML wrapped around
    the pic of Carolyn I posted. The picture is *supposed* to link
    off to its bigger copy over at techno-fandom, but the way the
    post HTML is constructed it winds up linking to itself, the smaller
    one. That's not what should be happening, especially when I
    deliberately wrapped it in bbcode constructs to try and make it
    do the right thing -- {url=/big/pic}{img}/small/pic{/img}{/url}
    if I'm not mistaken?? [substitute square brackets for {}]
    The problem seems to be that there are TWO "<a href=..." blocks
    around there, one pointing to the large picture and one to the
    small, and only the small one appears to be connected to clicking
    the picture itself. What, if anything, am I doing wrong, and if
    the answer is "nothing" then can this bit of picture container
    please be made to work properly when someone tries to link
    small-to-big like this?
    firefox, scripting turned off, etc etc.
    _H*

19. NWPriusPlus

NWPriusPlus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a new member, it looks like I cannot include pictures in my posts, even if I have already added the photos to my album. Is that correct?

20. NWPriusPlus

NWPriusPlus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to answer--all I need is just this one more post to make the magic 5! Thanks