1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to maintain Prius after Toyota's 2 year service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iwannaprius, Feb 19, 2014.

1. iwannaprius

iwannaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a proud owner of a 2012 Prius and just took my car in today for its last Toyota service maintenance (2-year). My car actually only has about 13k, but I assume they gave my car the standard 20k maintenance. Anyway, I plan to perform the maintenance on my own car from now and was hoping to hear the experiences from those who service their own Prius. Particularly, what types of regular maintenance do you perform and when? I was hoping to get some type of schedule that I could stick to for my personal use. For example, a format such as the following would be nice:

25k/2.5 years - change oil, change filter
    30k/3 years - change oil, change tires
    35k/3.5 years - change brake pads

Again, the above is purely an example. But beyond the 2-year Toyota maintenance period, what types of regular maintenance do you perform and when?

2. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not listed in the service schedule, but lots of people here recommend the transmission fluid be changed at about 30k intervals. I changed mine the first time at around 50k and it was really black. Other than that, it's just oil and filter at 10k, checked the brake pads at 100k nad at the present wear rate, it'll be well past 200k before they will need to be replaced.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Actually, after the first ATF refresh, you can extend the period to every 60k miles with no problems.

JeffD