1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove rear seat 60/40 BACKs (not seat bottom cushion)

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by davekro, Sep 22, 2014.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All my searches find how to remove the rear seat's bottom cushion. I want to know how to (and how much trouble) to remove both of the 60/40 seat backs. We just went camping and got all our stuff in, but fitting stuff in in just a certain way like a puzzle, is time consuming. I thought if the rear seat backs came out easily, that extra space might be helpful. If I can get the 'backs out easily, I may pull the seat bottom out as well.

We have a 2013 PiP. Would this expose the batteries? If so, I'd think I could rig a cover to protect any sensitive areas.
    Thanks
    PS. We loved taking the PiP camping and not the 14 MPG Bronco! ;o)

Read more: http://priuschat.com/forum/toyota-prius-plug-in.105/create-thread#ixzz3E48xH8QG
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

2. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 bolts at the bottom of each seatback, easy-peasy. Check out the hinges. Remove the bolts that hold the hinges to the seat. I have removed them several times since I bought the car in May(once to install Katzkin covers, and numerous times for more cargo space), and it's almost as easy as pulling the seat-bottom.

This will not expose the battery, or really anything else fragile. I'd be most concerned about the plastic ducting and raceways under the seat-bottom.

davekro likes this.
  3. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Squirt,
    Thanks for the response. My wife had the car at work. When she got home I looked and it 'seemed' like just the two bolts (each seat back). Thanks for confirming that's all there is. :eek:) Some have reported it is hard for them to remove and reinstall the bottom cushion. After reading the one post saying to 'raise' the center of the white plastic front female retainer before reinstalling, I wonder if that makes it pop back in easily. Since I want to be removing this bottom cushion often (and as easily as possible, I may try installing some other less hard to release grommet. I am not so worried that IF the car rolled over, the back seat my loosen a bit. ;o)

Do you find it easy to remove your seat bottom repeatedly and reinstall?

4. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I really had no issue at all with uninstalling-reinstalling. Once you've done it a few times, you know exactly where to pull/push, and it's a trivial operation. The retaining clips are meant to function repeatedly, they're not a single-use item. As long as you're not taking it out and putting it back every day, I would not be concerned.

davekro likes this.
  5. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good to know. Thanks again Squirt!

6. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Squirt,
    I just pulled the bottom cushion and seat back out. Is there an easy way to easily remove the 6" hinged carpeted panels that now hang over the back of the open area? Or how do you deal with them?

I left seat back hinge brackets in, but if I decide to keep the seats out for long periods, I may pull those too (and put a grill over the left battery vent).

7. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure, removing those panels is very easy if they're getting in your way. Each one is only held on by 2-3 of the plastic retainer clips that seem to be used to hold the entire interior together. Just dig your fingers (or preferably a panel removal tool) under the edge and pop it up. Once you get an edge up, you'll be able to see what's going on.

Personally, I usually leave them in, as they haven't bothered me very much.

8. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good to know. Thanks.

9. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model: